Need to start studying content again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maikelm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to start studying for the MCAT again. I took the MCAT twice (once in 2016 and once in 2017) at which point I enrolled in the Kaplan courses. Now, I do not want to enroll in any class and would like to study on my own. I have to review content and then complete practice tests. I know that I am a bit rusty in some of the content.

What the verdict on quality content from Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Next Step? Content wise and full exam practice wise?

I currently have Kaplan books 2nd edition. Were there major changes to the recent books?

Thanks for your help!
Maikel

Members don't see this ad.

For content review, all of the books are going to be roughly the same- just save money and use whatever books you already have or whatever is cheapest. After going through a set of review books, use Khan Academy to supplement your learning and also to see if there are any gaps in your knowledge. For full length exams, I think NS is solid, but all third-party material isn't too representative of the actual exam. The best material you'll be able to do will be the AAMC material.

There have been changes to the Kaplan books since the 2nd edition (I think they're on 4th edition now) but nothing major.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
For content review, all of the books are going to be roughly the same- just save money and use whatever books you already have or whatever is cheapest. After going through a set of review books, use Khan Academy to supplement your learning and also to see if there are any gaps in your knowledge. For full length exams, I think NS is solid, but all third-party material isn't too representative of the actual exam. The best material you'll be able to do will be the AAMC material.

There have been changes to the Kaplan books since the 2nd edition (I think they're on 4th edition now) but nothing major.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks Kevin for your help!

I just double checked my books and I actually have Kaplan 3rd edition as well. I will use these and Khan Academy videos to review content. I also have my text books in case I need some more content.

In the past, I was enrolled in the Kaplan MCAT course, but their full length exams are more difficult than the actual test. Their study skills are counterintuitive in some places, especially CARS. I will invest in the Next Step test along with the AAMC material in the future.

Thanks again for your input!
Maikel

Hi I’m just curious but why did you take the MCAT in 2016 and you are studying again?

I took it in 2016 after undergrad with the intentions of going after a single gap year. Life changed and I decided to pursue a MPH and build my resume a bit more. Now, I want to get back to studying for the MCAT.