Need to take Orgo II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconutmilk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated in 2010 and had okay (not great) grades in college. Maybe a B average in my pre med classes (above that, otherwise), but my school was top 5 in the country and noted for grade deflation, blah blah blah. Anyway, I have not taken Orgo II. I attempted to take it after I graduated, but it was clear I'd forgotten Orgo I, so I retook that, and got a B/B+ (could have done better but was working 60 hours a week). I also took the MCAT and did fine in the bio section.

I was planning to take Orgo II starting in January, but a pretty rare opportunity has come along that would not allow me to follow through with that. Without getting into details, it's a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing -- related to healthcare, but not necessarily something that would help my application.

My question is this: how much would it hurt my chances if I took Orgo II during the second half of this upcoming summer (since that seems to be the only time it's offered beyond Spring)? I'd planned to apply to med school as early as possible in June..would my application be looked upon unfavorably if that grade wasn't in?

Would really appreciate any advice; thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it's recommended that you have most of your pre-reqs completed before you apply. I held off my last English class until fall semester, but that's English. Orgo II a core pre-req. It's crazy that you took the MCAT before completing it. In any case, it's your call, but if this "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity is not going to boost your application, why bother doing it in lieu of raising your BCPM GPA in time for your AMCAS by acing Orgo II.

Maybe take another year of college? I know plenty of people who would be so much better off with 5 years but for some reason feel extremely pressured to do it in 4. Nothing wrong with 5 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well from the way you talked about this "once in a lifetime chance", I would say take up on that opportunity because it shows that you are really passionate about that. Your always going to be left regretting it if you didn't take up this "once in a lifetime opportunity". You want it very much, and it shows.Life doesn't have to be lived according to a set schedule. Live life with no regrets. I don't think anyone will judge you for following something your passionate about.

2 months wouldn't kill you. I submitted my application on August 8th and I have an acceptance right now (Just have your application ready to send out immediately once the grade comes out). having said that, technically it is better for you to get orgo out of the way. But in the end it all comes down to how much value do you put into this once in a lifetime experience. If its something you've always been wanting to do, and have been looking forward to doing for all of your life, then I'd stlil say go for it. Though out of curiosity, what is this opportunity btw?

You need to have all of your pre-requisites done before you matriculate to med school; so its okay if you're taking it while your application is being processed.