Need your advice on General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a B in General Chemistry I and II and I'm thinking about retaking those classes at community college to boost my SGPA. I was really close making an A in Gen. Chem. II and I know I should have made As in both classes so I wanted to take it at CC to refresh General Chemistry and boost my SGPA since I plan to take MCAT in January 2011.

Is this worth my time, money, and effort?
I have low SGPA so I am pretty desparate to do anything at this point

Members don't see this ad.

I made a B in General Chemistry I and II and I'm thinking about retaking those classes at community college to boost my SGPA. I was really close making an A in Gen. Chem. II and I know I should have made As in both classes so I wanted to take it at CC to refresh General Chemistry and boost my SGPA since I plan to take MCAT in January 2011.

Is this worth my time, money, and effort?
I have low SGPA so I am pretty desparate to do anything at this point

NO
1 dont retake a B.
2 unless your originally in a CC you shouldnt be taking pre-reqs at CC.
3 you can however take higher level bio's at a CC or something over the summer to boost your sgpa, like Anatomy & physio or micro..
something of that sort.
otherwise no.

i mean retaking a B and getting a A would average you at.. a B+.. not worth it at all..

just do better in ochem? there will be plenty of science courses for you to take where you can receive A's to boost up your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
B's aren't bad, even among the pre-req classes, as long as they are a minority. As was mentioned, dilute their significance with some A's in Ochem. Definitely don't waste your time retaking B's...not only is it unnecessary, but it also wouldn't help your application much, and may even reflect slightly negatively on your priorities.

yeah that would be a really bad idea. The schools might actually misinterpret that to think that you were just trying to "pad" up your grades by retaking classes with which you're already familiar with.