1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Need your advice on my situation, Please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Olgie, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Olgie

Pre-Dental
    I really appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks!
    (in a nutshell)

In my first two years of college I was a psychology major and then realized that I want to persue my childhood dream job as a dentist. I love everything about the dental field. Anyway, now that my major is Life Science at Penn State Abington, I have only about 1 1/2 years left. This semester coming up in a week I will be taking orgo chem and 3 other bio classes. It will be my toughest semester but I know if i push myself hard enough I can get through it. The problem with my past year since i've changed my major is that I only have a 3.1 and science around 3.0. I've taken all my easy classes so now all I have left is science classes in order to graduate such as micro/biochem/upper bio's/orgo2. Once i finish this fall semester, I will be starting to focus on the DAT's while i have about 3-4 classes in the spring. Then in april-june I plan to take KAPLAN DAT courses at a nearby location to get prepared for the DAT's. Then in august I will take the DAT's and start applying afterwards. To me it sounds like a hectic fast paced schedule. I have already put in about 100 of volunteering hours and helped shadow my aunt at her dental office. Does my plan sound like it can be achieved? I will do everything in my power to try to raise my GPA up because I am competing with so many other people who have better grades then me. Do I still have a chance? And how can I stand out and look like a student who can get through dental school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. slm266

slm266 Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Keep raising GPA, get 21-22+ on DAT (not DAT's), no section below 19. You can do research if you have time, but GPA/DAT are most important when you're that behind with upperdivisions left to take. Score high enough on DAT and get that GPA to a 3.3 and you may get in first try. If not you may have to do post bacc.