Need your advice on my situation, Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Olgie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks!
(in a nutshell)

In my first two years of college I was a psychology major and then realized that I want to persue my childhood dream job as a dentist. I love everything about the dental field. Anyway, now that my major is Life Science at Penn State Abington, I have only about 1 1/2 years left. This semester coming up in a week I will be taking orgo chem and 3 other bio classes. It will be my toughest semester but I know if i push myself hard enough I can get through it. The problem with my past year since i've changed my major is that I only have a 3.1 and science around 3.0. I've taken all my easy classes so now all I have left is science classes in order to graduate such as micro/biochem/upper bio's/orgo2. Once i finish this fall semester, I will be starting to focus on the DAT's while i have about 3-4 classes in the spring. Then in april-june I plan to take KAPLAN DAT courses at a nearby location to get prepared for the DAT's. Then in august I will take the DAT's and start applying afterwards. To me it sounds like a hectic fast paced schedule. I have already put in about 100 of volunteering hours and helped shadow my aunt at her dental office. Does my plan sound like it can be achieved? I will do everything in my power to try to raise my GPA up because I am competing with so many other people who have better grades then me. Do I still have a chance? And how can I stand out and look like a student who can get through dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep raising GPA, get 21-22+ on DAT (not DAT's), no section below 19. You can do research if you have time, but GPA/DAT are most important when you're that behind with upperdivisions left to take. Score high enough on DAT and get that GPA to a 3.3 and you may get in first try. If not you may have to do post bacc.