Need your advice, to Kaplan, or not to Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright. I'm hearing some mixed reviews about the Kaplan course so I'm going to throw it out.

I want the replies to be brutally honest.

Does Kaplan really help you that much? I'm planning to use Achiever, Destroyer, Kaplan BB, CRACK DAT PAT. I mean how you do on the DAT is how much studying you put in right? If I was able to handle most of the science courses in undergrad then do I really need the Kaplan course to assist me? I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm starting to look at Kaplan as more of a guide. I really don't want to pay $1400 if I can do just as well on the DAT by using these great tools and studying my butt off. Let me know what you guys think. I always appreciate your comments. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I've chosen not to do the Kaplan course so I can't really tell you much about it but I can tell you why I chose not to do it.

Reason 1 - 1400 bucks is a freaking lot of money
Reason 2 - The ADA website tells you what subjects are on the test and how many questions come from each subject. That's a pretty good study guide... and it's free!
Reason 3 - In the end, it comes down to you learning the information. 1400 dollars and a ticket to a course does not ensure a great score. You have to put in the work.

I've purchased the Kaplan blue book, Barron's outline, AP Cliffs Bio, and Topscore so far. Grand total - 150 bucks, maybe. It might be a decent idea to get topscore and take one of the tests to see where you're at. I've noticed that people's topscore scores have been relatively close to what they score on the DAT. I'm busting it with these resources and then getting Achiever to learn even more as I understand Achiever is a little harder than the real thing.

Agreed, Kaplan's book is better than the boring class. Just mix the book with Destroyer, Crack DAT, a bunch of other study material, plus study time and you should end up with a good result.

Here's what hybridtavo said a couple posts down:
"The kaplan course from feedback I had from friends who have taken it is "...was a waste of money.." they did recommend to get the material which you can study by urself. Other material Top score, Ace DAT, Crack DAT PAT, Cliff Bio notes, DAT destroyer."

Members don't see this ad :)
don't spend $1400 for this. Ochem is Ochem, Biology is Biology. The only thing Kaplan has is a good study program. Buy all the books everyone talks about on here. Topscore, Acheiver, Shaums AP bio, Crack the PAT, and the others I can't think of.

I did the online and I'm pretty sure for $1300 I could have gotten a much better plan.

Skip the course. Get the book, and use it along with other resources.

i never took the course, but what i think it comes down to is your own time management. if you are motivated to study on your own then you really don't need a specified time to go study with a class. like other posters have said, there is ample material out there for you to learn all the material on your own, its will you take the time to do it or depend on a scheduled class to teach you the SAME information??

i never took kaplan either. BUT as everyone else said in here, manage ur time. study each night( a new chapter) and review the old stuff u have. u can do anything u want if there is will, but u can do even better when there is will and u know what to use.
everyone here said that use which books. start off early. review each night. manage time, and the result should be a good score
im in highschool and i didnt take the ap course for bio. a few months ago i started bio and i studied everyday. now im in front of the whole bio class and i know more about the stuff then those kid who take bio class. im not saying this to make me sound smart or anything but to show u that if u try ur hardest u can do anything

good luck dude:thumbup:

Thanks for all of your responses. Yeah after reading these posts and talking to other friends about the course, I'm shifting more towards just using other study materials and not taking the course. I'm just worried about the PAT section and whether I'll be able to learn it myself. (Haven't even looked at it yet, so we'll see) I think I'm going to start studying at the beginning of July and take the test around the beginning of October. Hopefully having the whole summer will be beneficial and help me attain a good score. Thanks again for all your advice everyone!