Need your help deciding which class to take!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalPrep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I'm in 1st year of post-bac for enhancing my science gpa. I took all the pre-req course, so I'm currently taking Neurobiology and Anatomy which I did not take in my undergrad. Now, I have to register for the next semester and I'm very confused which classes to take) The reason why is that I'm a bit worried about some of my low grade on pre-req course that I got B- B and C (physics and Orgo 2 Intro Biology1).

I heard some saying that it is better to take upper biology classes to show them that I'm capable of understanding higher level of biology classes (such as Cancer, immunology, proteomics).

On the other hand, I'm a little bit worreid about my pre-req GPA.

Which classes do you guys think iI should take (let's assume that I do equally well)?

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

take upper bio. to me it's like taking down two birds with one stone. you get an A in the upper bio --> you can show the schools that you can handle upper div bio + you're pre-req gpa won't be considered heavily (as in the schools will recognize your graduate upper div class and gpa more :thumbup:)

Thanks for the tip, Richardh. I was just thinking they would also look at the pre-req GPA as part of their process because that's the part that you can actually compare with the other applicats, but I guess it's more important to take upper-bio classes, as you said. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tip, Richardh. I was just thinking they would also look at the pre-req GPA as part of their process because that's the part that you can actually compare with the other applicats, but I guess it's more important to take upper-bio classes, as you said. :)
We look at everything, but not where we're comparing your B- in physics I to another person's A or C in physics I. We can't do that because different schools have different grading schemes, course rigorousness, etc. But every adcom will look at your overall GPA, so in that sense, taking upper level classes can help you. Since you're doing a post bac, we can also see your post bac GPA. (AMCAS calculates it separately, along with averaging it into the overall GPA.) We will also look at your MCAT score and subscores, so it's important to make sure you're well prepared for the MCAT as well.

My advice on which classes to take depends on where you plan to apply. If you're applying to DO schools, you should consider retaking intro bio and anything else you got less than a B in, because AACOMAS will let you replace grades. In other words, you got a C in bio the first time, but if you retake it and get an A, it will now be calculated in your GPA as an A. However, this will not work for MD schools, because AMCAS averages grades rather than replacing them. If you retake bio and get an A, then AMCAS will average the A and C together, which will add two Bs to your GPA. This is not as helpful in terms of pulling up your GPA.

In either case, it does make sense to take upper level bio classes *if* you can do well in them (B+ or better). But getting more Cs in upper level classes will not help your cause. You should be sure that you have fixed whatever issues were causing you to get Cs earlier so that you can kick butt this semester.

Also, I think Richard mistyped, but just to clarify, you should be taking upper level *undergraduate* coursework, *not* graduate level classes. AMCAS calculates grad and UG GPAs separately, and grad classes will therefore not help your post bac or overall GPAs.

Hope this helps, and best of luck. :)

Also, I think Richard mistyped, but just to clarify, you should be taking upper level *undergraduate* coursework, *not* graduate level classes. AMCAS calculates grad and UG GPAs separately, and grad classes will therefore not help your post bac or overall GPAs.
Do graduate grades help that much? I've got a 3.88 undergrade, 3.97 post-bac at CC, and a 4.0 masters. I'm hoping that the grad degree and the good UG GPA from a respected school balance out the fact that I'm doing CC class.

Last edited:
Do graduate grades help that much? I've got a 3.88 undergrade, 3.97 post-bac at CC, and a 4.0 Master of Public Health. I'm hoping that the grad degree and the good UG GPA from a respected school balance out the fact that I'm doing CC class. (Yes, I've also got clinical experience, wrote a thesis, volunteer experience, and a housefull of kids--who I know are NOT EC)
Completely different situation than the OP. You don't need a graduate GPA to "balance out" your 3.88 and 3.97 UG GPAs, especially if you can couple those grades with a nicely balanced 30+ MCAT score. :)