jcms

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
hello!I've decided to buy new cardiology stethoscope - now I've got single sided Master Classic II. I like the Littmann Cardiology III but there are opinions that the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite is better than Littmann - what do you think?

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hi there,
Check out this thread: SDN Thread. It should provide a starting point.

njbmd :)

About the Ads
OP
J

jcms

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Could anybody (who has welch allyn elite) send me pictures of the chestpice?On some pictures it looks like the bell has very small diameter and looks ugly over large diaphragm - I know that steth is made for ascultating not for good looking but I don't want to spend my money on sth I don't like.Regards

I live in Europe - Elite's not available in med stores in my country (but littmann's everywhere)

OP
J

jcms

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status
Medical Student
How about ADC Adscope 600 and 601/602?Is Littmann Master Cardiology/Cardiology III much better?

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
jcms said:
Could anybody (who has welch allyn elite) send me pictures of the chestpice?On some pictures it looks like the bell has very small diameter and looks ugly over large diaphragm
The Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite and Littmann Cardiology III (with bell sleeve in place) each have bells measuring 26-27mm in internal (functional) diameter, as well as approximately equal depths. The thicker bell sleeve on the Littmann makes the bell appear larger.

Here's a photo of the Harvey Elite bell.

Shodddy18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Maine
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
jcms said:
Could anybody (who has welch allyn elite) send me pictures of the chestpice?On some pictures it looks like the bell has very small diameter and looks ugly over large diaphragm - I know that steth is made for ascultating not for good looking but I don't want to spend my money on sth I don't like.Regards

I live in Europe - Elite's not available in med stores in my country (but littmann's everywhere)

Yeah, you wouldnt want to walk around w/ an ugly steathoscope... :laugh:

megaman1x

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Sorry to "threadjack" but I have a question here and I don't think it warrant's making a brand new thread.

I need to get a stethoscope and I originally had decided on the Littmann Cardiology III (at about $127.00). Then my friends brother said he can send me a completely free one - but it's the "Welch-Allyn Professional Adult".

A buddy of mine said quality wise they are probably similar, except the Littmann Cardiology III comes with the peds (child) attachment built in (I don't know much about stethoscopes, so maybe I'm not using the right terms?) where as the Welch-Allyn Professional Adult only has the regular adult one.

I don't mind spending $127.00 so the "freeness" aspect isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme things. But what are your opinions on both of these sethoscopes?

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
megaman1x said:
I need to get a stethoscope and I originally had decided on the Littmann Cardiology III (at about $127.00). Then my friends brother said he can send me a completely free one - but it's the "Welch-Allyn Professional Adult".
The Professional is Welch-Allyn's general exam stethoscope, similar to Littmann's Classic/Classic II. It has single-lumen tubing, and isn't a cardiology 'scope like the Littmann Cardiology III. It's probably fine for a "starter 'scope", however, and it's hard to beat the price (free!) ;) Try it and see what you think. You can always get a different one later, if you want to.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
KentW said:
The Professional is Welch-Allyn's general exam stethoscope, similar to Littmann's Classic/Classic II. It has single-lumen tubing, and isn't a cardiology 'scope like the Littmann Cardiology III. It's probably fine for a "starter 'scope", however, and it's hard to beat the price (free!) ;) Try it and see what you think. You can always get a different one later, if you want to.
No. You're locked-in for life.

About the Ads