Need your honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shredder said:
ORM? urochester is a private school and ranked relatively high compared to the hundreds of other schools in the country. 30 at top schools happens but its bad advice to dispense to ppl who havent taken it yet

I went to Rutgers... you may remember me as rugirlie.. i am posting from my bf's sn who happens to have done very well on the MCAT and is from urochester and is mstp here.. i'm md only....

Members don't see this ad.

javert said:
I went to Rutgers... you may remember me as rugirlie.. i am posting from my bf's sn who happens to have done very well on the MCAT and is from urochester and is mstp here.. i'm md only....
i remember you and have looked for you on the members list before but to no avail, disappeared. i think weve tussled over mcat and dispensing advice to premeds before, it must be fate. actually youre the one sdner who i couldve named as a penn student until you vanished. anyway it was an amazing school, my #1 after visiting. its still a much better bet to shoot for 35+

I do love these arguments. What they come down to is this: people at Ivies (or who went to Ivies) and people who are bitter as hell about not getting into the Ivies will tell you that going to an Ivy is everything. People who are not at Ivies, have never gone to Ivies, and (gasp) people who don't want to go to Ivies for whatever reason will tell you that you can achieve your dreams at whatever school you choose.

In reality, both these viewpoints are true. If you base your self-worth so much on where you went to school, and if only an Ivy will do, you won't achieve your dreams at a state school. If, however, you are secure with the fact that you're not attending an Ivy and if you are happy with your state school/other institution, and if you are doing what you love, you will do just fine.

I think a lot of this has to do with personality. I could've gone to an Ivy. I chose not to. I didn't feel like I fit in with the people because I don't really give a damn about prestige. I'm not concerned with establishing a legacy. I'm not planning to do research. I chose a school I loved, and yes, it's my state school. I've been very, very happy here. I'm doing well. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't make the decision any differently. I feel the same way about my undergrad choice: I could've gone to an Ivy. I didn't want to for a number of reasons including the undue financial burden on my family. My state school provided me with an amazing education and fantastic opportunities. I don't feel that I was held back in the least.

If prestige is #1 on your list, by all means, fight for that spot at Harvard. I won't be fighting with you, and you should be glad for that and not spend your time belittling me for my choices. If prestige is not #1 on your list, figure out what is #1, go to a school that values that thing, and don't listen to people who tell you you're stupid for that choice.

I think we are not addressing the El Sol's real problem, he is at a "no tier" school, not a UNC, UVA, Michigan, UCLA, etc. A no-tier i think is the red flag. If there is a chance to transfer, not necessarily to an ivy, but to a good state school, i think he would have a MUCH BETTER chance of getting into a "top tier" med school. It's very tough coming from a no tier or a community college straight to a top tier med school. That is what he asked. What school can you transfer to? I think if it's much better than where you are AND you want to go to the top tier med school then you should.