Need your opinion regarding MCAT PS and BS sections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennisfam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation currently is fairly decent, but there is definite room for improvement. I am currently scoring 9's on the PS section of the exam when I get more Physics than Chemistry. When I get more Chemistry, and I am scoring 8's.

The obvious suggestion is to work on Chemistry, but do you have any other suggestions regarding this situation that I could be overlooking?

Now, regarding BS, I am consistently scoring 9's, so that's not bad. I am literally 1-3 questions away from getting a 10. No particularly weak area except possibly protein synthesis and oxygen containing compounds.

Can you please give me suggestions regarding this situation? Obviously, the goal is to get a 10.

Regards

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure you not only know EVERYTHING in depth, but also that you know how all concepts are related to eachother. How does one concept in chemistry define another? How are all the topics related? One thing that really helped me was to apply my concepts in real life.

For example, I read the physics chapters on power and energy and work adn thermodynamics. I applied each concept and calculated how much power and work I do when I deadlift. I dont remmeber the specific numbers but it cemented the material in my head and it was fairly easy to switch among concepts

Yes, I have found that to be really helpful because I have done this in Physics. It really helps you see things as a whole in your head.

In Chemistry, I have not been able to master this. When I read Chemistry, I feel as though I am not sufficiently able to "see" what exactly is going on in my head, or envision it. I will try to apply Chemistry to real life, which should not be that hard to do. Thanks

For BS you need to know everything you can possibly absorb in three months. I did most of my learning by taking copious note whenever I reviewed a passaged I'd taken. I rarely took notes on my reading material. I instead put that time and effort into a thorough analysis of every passage and every question. I would focus on the answer explanations in the books more than anything else. This was really helpful for learning material in context as opposed to learning it in some outline format dictated by the author of the book.

For PS, I found less is more to be a great approach. After I did a block of passages, I'd write down from memory every equation or concept I needed (before I looked at the answer key). It often wasn't very much information at all, whether I scored poorly or scored well. Then I'd grade each question with a fine toothed comb and add what I could to my notes. I found I mostly was adding test tricks that TBR taught me. Which brings me to the most important thing anyone will tell you about PS. Use TBR materials; they have great passages and great explanations.