Needing a weekend off during audition rotation for a wedding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharksRfriends

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends is getting married in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota (4 hr drive from Minneapolis airport, 1 hr drive from Fargo airport that does not have suitable times for flights) during August, a prime audition month. How bad would it look for me to take off a weekend to go to the wedding? I'm trying to look at flights now and with where it is the absolute closest I can cut it would be an 11pm Fri flight and then I'd get back around 9AM Sun morning. And that would be really rough on me. It would also be during the last few days of the rotation. Does this reflect very poorly on me during audition time? This would also be a critical letter I'd need from this rotation. I can skip the wedding but that would be really disappointing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of my best friends is getting married in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota (4 hr drive from Minneapolis airport, 1 hr drive from Fargo airport that does not have suitable times for flights) during August, a prime audition month. How bad would it look for me to take off a weekend to go to the wedding? I'm trying to look at flights now and with where it is the absolute closest I can cut it would be an 11pm Fri flight and then I'd get back around 9AM Sun morning. And that would be really rough on me. It would also be during the last few days of the rotation. Does this reflect very poorly on me during audition time? This would also be a critical letter I'd need from this rotation. I can skip the wedding but that would be really disappointing.

I would think this would depend on the specialty you're auditioning for, but most rotations will get you at least 1 weekend off over 4 weeks.

You should discuss this with the rotation coordinator sooner than later to have it scheduled into your block before you start; that's the responsible and professional way to handle it.

Life happens, residencies know this... you just need to be very proactive about known events. Showing up day 1 and announcing you need to rejigger the schedule without warning for something you've had months to plan is a recipe for a potentially poor review/letter.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I would think this would depend on the specialty you're auditioning for, but most rotations will get you at least 1 weekend off over 4 weeks.

You should discuss this with the rotation coordinator sooner than later to have it scheduled into your block before you start; that's the responsible and professional way to handle it.

Life happens, residencies know this... you just need to be very proactive about known events. Showing up day 1 and announcing you need to rejigger the schedule without warning for something you've had months to plan is a recipe for a potentially poor review/letter.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You can discuss it with the rotation coordinator but realistically they will have little to no involvement in your day to day schedule or days off. That will be up to the residents and/or attendings on service at that time and the expectations they set.

Most likely it would be fine to get the weekend off if you communicate with the team. But you do run the small risk that someone will view this request poorly.

The alternative would be to choose a different month for your away.