1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Wednesday we're hosting our first-ever Instagram takeover with UF College of Dentistry student, Carson. Follow along to get a glimpse of life as a D1, ask questions and more!
    Dismiss Notice

Needing advice on waxing tools and loupes

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Jordan1671, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Jordan1671

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello, I'm almost finished with my first month in dental school and it's been a bit of a whirlwind. The good kind of course. In regards to waxing teeth, I have been given consistent advice on investing in a "baby explorer" to help wax teeth. The specific model is the Hu-Friedy #6 SE Explorer EXS6. I looked up the site and they're giving me a lot of options when I typed this in:

http://www.hu-friedy.com/products/catalogsearch/result/?q=EXS+6

Do you guys know which one of these I should get? I even clicked on one (http://www.hu-friedy.com/products/6a-explorer.html) and they gave me a whole assortment of handles. What is the benefit of a thinner handle vs a thicker one? Should I buy a 6A, 6L, or some other variation?

Also in regards to loupes, I hear there will be some event when vendors come to our school to make some pitches. What should I look for in loupes? I hear from a friend that I should get one that lights up by tapping my elbow, etc. Also, I'm wary about the prices since I always regarded in-person vendors to always upsell their products. Should I buy the loupes at these events or should I buy them online?

Ps. Any other suggestions on helpful instruments for D1 through D4 would be appreciated!

2. THS

THS Articulating Disc Jockey
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    What tools came in your waxing kit? All I used was PKT 1, 2, 3, and 4. Also a cleoid-discoid and a wax spatula. That was it. The PKT are similar to that "baby exporer" but curved instead of straight.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...