Program-Specific Info / Q's Needing Help with my Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otunderdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I will be applying to schools for the 2014-2015 cycle.

And I was just hoping to get some advice on how to best go about tackling my statement of purpose:

I became interested in OT after a recommendation from my advisor to take a fun 2 unit course on it (I graduated as a History major). I LOVED the class; most importantly, though, my professor from that class recommended I go through the university's OT department to get help for major depression. I only did ONE session of occupational therapy to get help (because insurance didn't cover it and I couldn't afford it) but that one session had a more positive effect on me than 1.5 years worth of psychotherapy sessions. That effect is also reflected in my grades (I earned a 3.7 gpa the following semester for 21 units of coursework after that session).

I will be mostly applying to schools that look at my last 60 units of coursework; by the end of the summer by combined 60 units (some undergrad, some post undergrad) will be ~3.5. I will also have a 300+ volunteer hours. I'm mostly worried about how to go about my personal statement. I am very interested in psych OT, but psych OT has been pushed into a very small place in recent years. I want to talk about how I want psych OT to be given the same level of importance again, and how psych OT has the ability to change lives in a way that current psychotherapy treatments aren't able to. However, I also don't want to shed too much light on my depression - but my depression led me to OT. I feel like I'm stuck - any advice on how to go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like an awesome experience to include in a PS! Like you said, I wouldn't delve too much into the negative aspects of your depression, rather I would maybe try to pull one or two memorable moments from your session with the OT. What she did or said and how much it impacted you and truly made a positive difference in your life. Zone in on those moments, maybe her compassion or patience, and relate it to how you want to be as an OT. Just keep it positive! Mention that you were there for your depression but then just focus in on the session and the positive results and inspiration. Also, I wouldn't focus on comparing OT to psychotherapy for depression as this may come across put-down-ish. (As long as you don't do it in a negative way!) I think you'd be better off just explaining how great psych OT is and how much it can really help people with mental illnesses. Throw in how you will make a strong, positive impact on those patients or the field of psych OT in general. Your main focus should always be OT and positivity. I hope this makes sense! I'm sure it'll be great! :)

@alg5443 thank you for your response (I totally missed it too, I thought nobody had responded!). I think, like you said, OT is such a positive profession in the first place that being negative about anything is just not a good way to start. I also believe that psychotherapy can be EXTREMELY helpful to those who really benefit from it (90% of the time really); I just wasn't able to see those same benefits :). I just think its amazing that there are other avenues to explore these issues and illnesses that aren't strictly psychotherapy and psychiatry, if that makes sense. I truly have nothing but utmost respect for any and all professions that make a positive impact / difference in somebody's life.

Thank you again for your help!!!:)

Yeah definitely! I remember starting to draft my PS and I had SO much to say about so many things, just as you're talking about with psychotherapy and such! I wanted to share so much with the schools about my thoughts on OT. It's such a cool field with so many paths, so it gets hard to keep it consice while sharing all your ideas. That was probably the toughest part, to meet that length limit! I think you're personal statement is going to be so interesting! Good luck! :)