Needing some advice on classes to take as non-trad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeJoe2482

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you know, I posted a thread on chances for switching careers from IT to Medicine.

I've read that it's best to take pre-reqs slow like a marathon, but I've also read that I need to take a heavy science course load to show my potential for Med School... ( I have not taken any science pre-reqs or the MCAT).

Medicine is something I've always considered but didn't have the courage to pursue. Now that I'm much older, I'd like to pursue my dream.

Could anyone please weigh-in on this topic...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it somewhat depends on your financial situation. some people just go back on student loans and get it done, others keep their day job and take 1 or 2 classes per semester over 2 or 3 years. Questions that will make it different for you include, do you have a family or other obligations that need you to keep making money as long as possible? have you saved enough money to make the transition? In the end, people have done every method you can think of doing, both successfully and unsuccessfully. It's up to you.

Andrek82,

Yes, I work full-time and my wife just had an infant.

My financial situation is not well and am not sure that I can get loans for schooling. Also, I do not have the savings right this moment to take a full semester of courses. Although, I could take 1-2 classes per sem. However, this is my original dilemma, that Adcom wouldn't like me taking just a few and would like to see me taking a "heavy" course load.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Start out slow. I worked full-time while taking basic courses such as college algebra and introductory chemistry. You could try those, and if they go well, start taking pre-req courses.

I'd advise going slow as well as the risk doesn't outweigh the benefits in your situation.

Working full time and taking care of an infant are not easy tasks in themselves, and adding a significant course load make them even harder. The worst possible outcome would be to take a 1-2 classes per term and do bad in them.

Take your time, do well in your courses, and I'm sure you'll (if even necessary at all) be able to explain your "slow and steady" pathway to medicine when it's time for you to apply/interview.

Doing well in 2 classes per semester (and getting A's) is worth much more than being avg in 3 classes, especially since you are working full time. Don't take that risk, you will not be able to undo the damage. Trust me, all else being equal, many places will be fine with this kind of a course load with a high GPA while few would care about the 3 classes you took if your GPA is 3.5-3.6. If you are really concerned, you could add a subtle line in your personal statement about "taking premed classes at night while working full time" in order to pursue your dream. Now if you can handle 3 classes and ace them without affecting your family life too much (e.g. you get some time to study during work), then that is another story.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone for their replies.

Perhaps I will start taking 2 classes probably (math + chem or bio) in the next semester or two.

I still have some financial issues to overcome.

Also, I can find all kinds of reasons not to do this (rationalizations + justifications); I have a huge fear of failure that it prevents me from pursuing this.

Hopefully as I read the forums I can find some strength and courage!

:)

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Perhaps I will start taking 2 classes probably (math + chem or bio) in the next semester or two.

I still have some financial issues to overcome.

Also, I can find all kinds of reasons not to do this (rationalizations + justifications); I have a huge fear of failure that it prevents me from pursuing this.

Hopefully as I read the forums I can find some strength and courage!

:)
I started med school with a 2 year old and another on the way. If you really want it, your undergrad gpa isn't too low, and you do well in your prereqs, a slow path shouldn't hurt you. If anything, a med school that is friendly to nontraditional students will look favorably on your ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks. The finances are tough and they always will be, though they opened up nicely once I started getting a paycheck again, even at a resident's salary. Good luck!

As other's have said, higher grades at a slower pace trumps a heavy load. I've had people tell me my load is too light (4 courses) and I'm working 60 hrs some weeks and raising 4 kids, two of which are special needs (while volunteering and maintaining straight A's). I think it boils down to if you can reasonably explain why you did what you did AND that you excelled while doing it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm switching from IT to medicine as well. I take either three liberal arts courses or two STEM courses per semester. Two science courses, each containing a lecture and lab, in combination with full-time work should demonstrate your academic capacity.

So, I've been seriously debating going back to college to start the pre-med pre-reqs. I'm really only debating whether the time and money is worth it to me to switch from a fairly lucrative career (focusing and moving up the corporate chain) to medicine. However, I've had some financial difficulties with my wife not working because of our infant. But more so because of the fact that I declared bankruptcy about a year ago and have been massively behind on bills. Any advice on whether or not I could get loans (without a co-signer)?

Or any advice/info on who I might want to contact for said issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm switching from IT to medicine as well. I take either three liberal arts courses or two STEM courses per semester. Two science courses, each containing a lecture and lab, in combination with full-time work should demonstrate your academic capacity.

McRibs, What area of IT were you in and how long did you spend in IT before making the switch. IT as you well know is a very lucrative career. I enjoy IT (somewhat) but always have had that inner voice to become a physician. I'm curious how far along in the application process are you?

Would love to keep in touch as I begin my path shortly (hopefully)!

As other's have said, higher grades at a slower pace trumps a heavy load. I've had people tell me my load is too light (4 courses) and I'm working 60 hrs some weeks and raising 4 kids, two of which are special needs (while volunteering and maintaining straight A's). I think it boils down to if you can reasonably explain why you did what you did AND that you excelled while doing it.

Esob is on the money. I'm finishing my undergrad right now for a bachelors in nursing. Hindsight I wish I would have just completed a pre-med degree to make the transition easier, but I have a wife and 2 kids as well and needed a way to supplement some income. Between work and school, i've been working 80+ hour work weeks for the last three years. I'm also our only source of income as my wife stays home.

Nonetheless, my point is that if you want something, you go get it. Sure there are details to be worked out such as finances, but there is no substitution for hard work that is fueled by a fire to succeed. Make sure your wife is 100% on board with your choice though. Your marriage is not worth losing over anything.

I'll be taking my necessary prereqs starting this summer (o-chem and what not). Anyway, don't get discouraged. If it is supposed to happen, then it will.

McRibs, What area of IT were you in and how long did you spend in IT before making the switch. IT as you well know is a very lucrative career. I enjoy IT (somewhat) but always have had that inner voice to become a physician. I'm curious how far along in the application process are you?

Would love to keep in touch as I begin my path shortly (hopefully)!

I 've been working in infrastructure for about 5 years. I've bounced around between networking and administration. IT is lucrative but the money is migrating towards development. Unsurprisingly, it pays well to code entire departments out of employment.

I have about 3 years ahead of me. I have a failed attempt at an accounting degree from 2009. As a result, I wander around grade replacement land at my local community college. I expect to move up to a public university in 2018.

If I'm lucky, I'll get over the wall in 2019.

Feel free to PM me.