Aug 9, 2016
Hey guys I could really use some advice...

Currently I am a grad-intern for WAGS. I had no prior pharmacy experience outside of the required rotations for school. I felt pretty lucky to find a job after graduating this past May. I quickly found out that retail was pretty overwhelming for me- mainly because of the lack of tech help and in adequate training. So I am still a grad intern because I did not pass the mpje on my first attempt. I did pass the naplex, but I am in the waiting period (about 2.5 more weeks) to be able to retake the mpje.

So I have been searching for other job opportunities pretty soon after discovering that retail (especially with WAGs or CVS) might not be for me. I recently received an opportunity to interview for a hospital position at a community hospital that does not require a residency or prior experience. Not in the most ideal area, but its something and will give me experience (if I get offered the position) if I decide to relocate in the future.

So my dilemma, and what I primarily need advice about, is that I am not fully licensed yet. When I spoke to the future hospital employer on the phone, he asked if I was licensed, and I told him that I still need to take the law exam and will be taking it in about 2.5 weeks. I wasn't completely truthful because I did not tell him I failed my first attempt. After the phone call, I felt kinda guilty that I wasn't completely honest with him. My question is, would you recommend that I come clean and tell him that I failed my first attempt during the interview if it comes up again? It is kind of late to be taking boards for the first time, so I imagine that he might be wondering why I am not fully licensed yet, especially if I have already taken and passed the naplex. Would it be okay to alter the timeline of my board exams?

I am torn on what might be the right thing to do because I really want this position and I don't want the fact that I failed the law exam on the first try to be a factor on me getting the position or not.

Thanks in advance!

Fimbulvetr

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Nah it's only August; its not that late. Could easily be explained by delays by the board or something if you must.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
We only know your side, but if you said exactly that to exactly that question and the hospital didn't inquire too much into it, I don't think it's even an ethical thing if you answered, "I'm taking MPJE in 3 weeks and I'm not licensed yet." That being said, most states and most places don't have a real problem with someone failing the MPJE once and only once as most get caught up in some of the nitpicking questions (MN has a real obsession about asking on nursing home practice and emergency carts and IL has a thing for asking on out of state prescriptions). If you are asked directly, tell the truth. It's *possible* that the hospital will go out of their way to get the score report from NABP through the Board, but that costs the hospital money for no good reason as verifying a license is *free* in this context as a state duty. I don't think it's necessary to volunteer derogatory information unless you're asked unless this is a background investigation interview (where they tell you ahead of time that not being on the level and hiding anything will get you in trouble).

If this is a federal hospital, I know we don't bother looking that up, and even if you did fail, it wouldn't really matter so long as you were licensed before you showed up or started as a provisional intern.

On a personal note, don't worry about failing the MPJE so long as you learned to pass it the next time. It totally happens, and we don't think any less of pharmacists who aren't detail-oriented in law. That's different than failing NAPLEX where I would be concerned about your competence to practice if you did not pass comfortably.

Lnsean

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You didn't technically lie...they didn't ask. You gave them a time frame and they were okay with it. I'd just roll with it and see what you can get. It's tough to get out of retail after you've been in it so take advantage of this opportunity as much as you can.

Reactions: BidingMyTime

ldiot

2+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2015
Miami, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree, you told them that you are not licensed yet and will be taking the law exam in 2.5 weeks. I don't see any issue with what you did and I wouldn't bring it up. If they specifically ask about it then tell them that you are retaking it, but if they don't bring it up there's no reason to tell them in my opinion.

OP
P
Aug 9, 2016
thank you everyone for taking the time to reply..I really appreciate it!

One other quick question:

Does anyone have anyone suggestions/tips/pointers for the interview of a hospital position? I think the position in entails a mixture of some staffing verification and some clinical duties.

I really want this interview to go well!

All advice is appreciated :)

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
Besides good luck, not much practical advice. If you interview with someone like me, I'd say that you don't need to provide a snap answer every time and that pauses to consider a question's implications are ok. Just please don't give a impulsive answer of something stupid or wrong if a clinical question is asked; take the time to think and reflect on your answer beforehand. And possibly play up your willingness to learn the system if you don't have a strong hospital background. You'll be joining a long list of pharmacists who have made the conversion and staying true to that in terms of the uphill difficulty that you're willing to take on will give the best you've got.

Its Z

Retired
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
thank you everyone for taking the time to reply..I really appreciate it!

One other quick question:

Does anyone have anyone suggestions/tips/pointers for the interview of a hospital position? I think the position in entails a mixture of some staffing verification and some clinical duties.

I really want this interview to go well!

All advice is appreciated :)
I've hired plenty of new grads and retail pharmacists, and trained them to become hospital pharmacists.

I'm not looking for all world clinical knowledge in a new hire. I'm looking for a great attitude, communication skills, willingness to learn, and someone who will go out of their way to help patients, and service interdisciplinary team at the hospital.