needy help- timeline and OAT Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplyanny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to all wise-ers out there,
if I'm planning to attend optometry school in fall 2006, when's the best time to take OAT(ie, if I want to have the chance to take it twice, when should I take it)? From the info I have elsewhere they say Feb 2005, is it too late?
Also, since Microbiology is the pre-req for most optometry schools, is it important to have taken Microbio before taking OAT? Which pre-class does better for OAT(Kaplan or Princeton Review)?

thanks so much for any inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually everyone takes the OAT the october before you plan to start optometry school, and if they're not satisfied with the score they take it again in febuary. So you could even take it Feb 2006, and it would still be fine with UHCO (I have a friend who retook it feb of this year, and she's starting at UHCO this Aug). You don't have to take Microbio before the OAT, and I've only heard from people who've taken the Kaplan OAT classes, I think that's because Kaplan is the only one that comes out to talk to us at our P.O.P.S. meetings, so I don't know how it would compare to Princeton

thanks so much Simisn for your answer, me still got a few
more..
1. SO, since you say Microbio is not required, what
classes do you think are the most helpful in helping
you prepare for OAT?(or from people that have taken
it?) Please specifiy the course name such as Genetics,
Anatomy, Physiology, General Bio,etc.

2. When does one fill out an application to optometry
school? Do most people finish their application
before taking the OAT?

ta-ta

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by simplyanny

before taking the OAT?

ta-ta

answers : 1) to help with the OAT take: physics (doesn't have to be calc based) but I had to take 301 and 316 for my major, Orgo I and II (I took 618) , biology (302 and 303)... I'd recommend taking evolution too though.. I didn't take it and wished I had when I got to the OAT, math through algebra (there's no calc on the OAT), chemistry (301 and 302) , and the trick to reading comprehension on the OAT.... DONT READ!! read the question and scan for the answer!

2) apply to school August 1st (the first day they accept) of 2005 to enter the 2006 class. Wow, I'll be out by then. :D :cool:

Hope this helps.
By the way, these numbers are U Texas course numbers so Anny knows what I mean. :)

before taking the OAT?
I sent mine in as soon as they started accepting applications (Aug/Sept) and had both my interviews before I took the OAT in October. My applications were then put on hold until my scores came in, so I got my acceptances in early December.

Good luck! :)

Did anyone of you get help on the essay part of your applications? I?ve seen the pop-ups on SDN about essay-help web sites. Do these really help?

thanks so much Simisn for your answer, me still got a few
more..

before taking the OAT?

ta-ta

You're welcome! The others on this forum answered those questions better than I could since I haven't taken the OAT yet. I'd recommend being really involved with the P.O.P.S. chapter at UT, and then we'll probably see each other either at the conference A&M is having this year, or at the T.O.A. conference (you could meet cpw over there too:) ), or at the conference that UH P.O.P.S. host the day before Optometry day during the spring semester:)

Originally posted by J.opt
Did anyone of you get help on the essay part of your applications? I?ve seen the pop-ups on SDN about essay-help web sites. Do these really help?

nope.. wrote 'em myself and had my mom and boyfriend proof read them. Boyfriend weeded out the "cheese" factor.. and mom taught english.. so she played grammar police.

Once boards are over.. if someone wants me to scan an essay... PM me. :D :cool:

About the essay thing -- I did mine on my own, too -- had my husband proof it for me and got approval on it from the pre-professional committee at school. I'd also be happy to be another set of eyes on your essay (or anyone else's), just PM me.

cpw -- Aren't SOME of us supposed to be STUDYING for our BOARDS coming up THIS WEEK???? ;)

Originally posted by r_salis

cpw -- Aren't SOME of us supposed to be STUDYING for our BOARDS coming up THIS WEEK???? ;)

lol:laugh:

Hey we all need a break sometime, right;)

yes, breaks are ALWAYS needed!

best luck to all of you that have Board coming up, i'll be here cheering in front of the computer for you!! (pls use your vivid imigination for that!)

Originally posted by cpw
answers : 1) to help with the OAT take: physics (doesn't have to be calc based) but I had to take 301 and 316 for my major, Orgo I and II (I took 618) , biology (302 and 303)... I'd recommend taking evolution too though.. I didn't take it and wished I had when I got to the OAT, math through algebra (there's no calc on the OAT), chemistry (301 and 302) , and the trick to reading comprehension on the OAT.... DONT READ!! read the question and scan for the answer!

2) apply to school August 1st (the first day they accept) of 2005 to enter the 2006 class. Wow, I'll be out by then. :D :cool:

Hope this helps.
By the way, these numbers are U Texas course numbers so Anny knows what I mean. :)

dear cpw,
i'm still a little bit confused on all the dates...pls excuse me on asking a few more questions to clarify...
1. since you said I should apply in August 2005 (and can take OAT Feb 2005 and/or Oct 2005), does that mean I can choose to either take OAT before filling an application or take OAT after filling an applicaton? which one will work better? based on my knowledge on the medical/dental fields they mostly require taking the tests before filling an application.
2. So to prepare for OAT, for biology do I only need the General Biology classes( intro to cell, intro to genetics, intro to structure and functions of organism) and Evolution? Will taking other advanced biology classes (such as microbio, verterbrate physiology, anatomy, biochem, developmental biology, cell bio)help?
3. will you suggest me to take OAT right after I finish the physics, math, biology, and chemistry classes listed in your quote (so I don't forget all that I've learnt)? or will you suggest me to enrich myself in more biology before taking it?
4. How did you prepare for OAT? did you go to a prep-class (and if so, which one?)

inputs from all the knowledgable people out there are extremely welcomed too!
sorry for my little confused brain that lots of questions...

anny

dear cpw,
i'm still a little bit confused on all the dates...pls excuse me on asking a few more questions to clarify...
1. since you said I should apply in August 2005 (and can take OAT Feb 2005 and/or Oct 2005), does that mean I can choose to either take OAT before filling an application or take OAT after filling an applicaton? which one will work better? based on my knowledge on the medical/dental fields they mostly require taking the tests before filling an application.
anny

August of 2005 is when UHCO starts taking applications for the class of 2006, you can take the OAT anytime before that whenever you feel that you're comfortable with all the material, but the last time that you would be able to take it is Feb of 2006.

THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT KINDLY PROVIDES YOUR INPUTS! YOU GUYS ARE REALLY AWESOME!!

enjoy the rest of the summer!:laugh: :laugh: :love: ;)