negative M3 evaluations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
New M3 just got grades back from the first rotation and learning to try to not take criticisms personally. My overall grades are decent and most evaluations are positive, but I had one evaluator (I have an idea who it is) who was particularly negative, they write that my work was "completely disorganized," I was "disinterested and disengaged in patient care" but somehow also "asked too many (patient-related) questions that impeded workflow of the team"...which just sounds contradictory, lol. They also wrote something to the degree of "I think [my name] doesn't like me" -- which was not my intention to come across as at all (I know I worked with this person on my worst days, there were times I couldn't read the room + others when I wasn't at my A-game...but I was doing my best) These negative comments are not going into my MSPE but still kinda stung.

Just wanted to confirm that this is a pretty universal M3 experience 😅

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup 100%. Was it a resident by any chance? Sometimes residents can either love or completely hate you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Won't say what kind of person they are but there was some personality clash when I was working with them so I was not surprised they roasted me

No worries. Although tbh there is nothing we can say online that would help you. Because either 1) you clashed with a bitter evaluator who is just being a jerk or 2) you lack self awareness and just don't know when to keep your mouth shut or 3) all of the above.

• Okay...
No worries. Although tbh there is nothing we can say online that would help you. Because either 1) you clashed with a bitter evaluator who is just being a jerk or 2) you lack self awareness and just don't know when to keep your mouth shut or 3) all of the above.
Honestly, it was a really challenging service and I am inexperienced on my first rotation, can definitely do better, but feels like I can't win

try to figure things out myself ---> I'm disengaged and disinterested
try to ask my questions to the team (who are super busy and there never is downtime)---> I am impeding their workflow

Idk

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, it was a really challenging service and I am inexperienced on my first rotation, can definitely do better, but feels like I can't win

try to figure things out myself ---> I'm disengaged and disinterested
try to ask my questions to the team (who are super busy and there never is downtime)---> I am impeding their workflow

Idk

I am just gonna repeat what I said earlier. The number of times an attending or resident can be a jerk is equal to the number of times a student just lacks self awareness. I realized I was doing something that rubbed the resident the wrong way and it didn't even really register with me until he went off on me in the last week of the rotation. But the resident himself had a LOT of issues, as evidenced by the fact that the program director, who is also in charge of MS3 evals, had a 1-on-1 meeting with me on the last day of the rotation to personally apologize for the resident's behavior, and assured me that she will write me a good evaluation, which she did. These kinds of situations are almost always a result of problems on both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just gonna repeat what I said earlier. The number of times an attending or resident can be a jerk is equal to the number of times a student just lacks self awareness. I realized I was doing something that rubbed the resident the wrong way and it didn't even really register with me until he went off on me in the last week of the rotation. But the resident himself had a LOT of issues, as evidenced by the fact that the program director, who is also in charge of MS3 evals, had a 1-on-1 meeting with me on the last day of the rotation to personally apologize for the resident's behavior, and assured me that she will write me a good evaluation, which she did.
All my other evaluations were fine & I fully acknowledge that I can do better, so I don't think I massively lack self-awareness... just gonna move on, can't please everyone 🤷‍♀️

All my other evaluations were fine & I fully acknowledge that I can do better, so I don't think I massively lack self-awareness... just gonna move on, can't please everyone 🤷‍♀️

Lol I thought you were a guy this whole time haha. Doesn’t change my advice though. Good luck!

Yes, it's a universal experience and unless there were some concerns that were highlighted by more than one person, I wouldn't take it personally.

Sounds like they had a bad day and decided to take it out on you. Don't take it personally. The feedback itself is poor and non-specific. Look more for a trend among the majority of your evaluations to see the bigger picture.

Last edited:
As long as it’s not going into your MSPE, I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

New M3 just got grades back from the first rotation and learning to try to not take criticisms personally. My overall grades are decent and most evaluations are positive, but I had one evaluator (I have an idea who it is) who was particularly negative, they write that my work was "completely disorganized," I was "disinterested and disengaged in patient care" but somehow also "asked too many (patient-related) questions that impeded workflow of the team"...which just sounds contradictory, lol. They also wrote something to the degree of "I think [my name] doesn't like me" -- which was not my intention to come across as at all (I know I worked with this person on my worst days, there were times I couldn't read the room + others when I wasn't at my A-game...but I was doing my best) These negative comments are not going into my MSPE but still kinda stung.

Just wanted to confirm that this is a pretty universal M3 experience 😅

its subjective and depends on the attending so dont take it personal. Crappy med students go on to become crappy attendings. medical students and residents rotate with me in psychiatry. You have to work for it to get a bad eval with me. My rules are basically: show up on time, be positive, do your best. As an attending im hesistant to leave a comment that would negatively impact someone's career, unless they really, really earned it. I try to stray away from controversial stuff, but often med students and sometimes resident will share their life story with me (which is a good thing, not a bad thing) and that gives me more insight about who they are, and why they chose to go into medicine. If you were asking too many questions, they should have respectfully told you that rather than writing it. Thats weird they wrote that they think you dont like them. I dont get how that part is relevant to how you performed on the rotation?

If they really put something subjective as “this student doesn’t like me” and the evaluation stands in stark contrast to the rest, I would argue that this would be a rare time where you might be able to get this thrown out. You can argue that they are bringing emotions and subjective arbitrary things into what is supposed to be a more objective evaluation.

You would have to approach this in a very professional way though. You can’t come off as whining or upset. You just request a meeting and point out the differences and that the comments are unprofessional of someone who is supposed to be evaluating you clinically, not based on liking someone’s personality. Might work, might not, if it doesn’t affect your grade I prolly wouldn’t bother.

Overall, these evaluations are dumb. It’s why anytime I do them I give all 5s because f the system.

Last edited:
  • Love
its subjective and depends on the attending so dont take it personal. Crappy med students go on to become crappy attendings. medical students and residents rotate with me in psychiatry. You have to work for it to get a bad eval with me. My rules are basically: show up on time, be positive, do your best. As an attending im hesistant to leave a comment that would negatively impact someone's career, unless they really, really earned it. I try to stray away from controversial stuff, but often med students and sometimes resident will share their life story with me (which is a good thing, not a bad thing) and that gives me more insight about who they are, and why they chose to go into medicine. If you were asking too many questions, they should have respectfully told you that rather than writing it. Thats weird they wrote that they think you dont like them. I dont get how that part is relevant to how you performed on the rotation?
medicine is filled with weirdos who can't relax in any circumstance.

Don't think it impacted my overall grade (high pass) & my school shows me what is going into my MSPE (positive comments), so I guess I won’t stress too much about it; I will take whatever value there is from the feedback while giving myself grace for doing ok on my first ever rotation.