Negative media coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redneck

Yup, another story cropped up. Here's the website link and article.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/02/doctors.records/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Yvette Chambers said she wasn't comfortable with the way her doctor touched her, or with his questions about her sex life during a gynecological exam at a Los Angeles-area clinic.

"I was questioning myself as to why I felt so uncomfortable, because it's a doctor, he's a doctor. Look at him he's in a doctor's (office), his beard's cleanly cut," Chambers said.

Then, she says, he asked her out to lunch.

"At that point I realized 'eww, eww, I have just been molested. I have just been violated. He just asked me out,' " Chambers said.

Chambers filed a complaint against Dr. Laurence Reich after the February 2000 appointment, adding to a list of allegations that date back to the 1970s, according to documents on file with the California Osteopathic Medical Board -- which regulates osteopaths but not medical doctors. Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law.

This case illustrates the wisdom of checking a doctor's background if any suspicions arise. There were about 700,000 doctors, including osteopaths, practicing in the United States last year, and 5,263 -- or less than 1 percent -- were disciplined for a variety of infractions, according to the Federation of State Medical Boards.

Physicians are licensed and disciplined by individual state medical boards, so that's the best place to check to see if a doctor has had complaints or disciplinary action taken against him or her.

"States can do as little or as much as they want," said Dr. Sidney Wolfe, director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group.

The California Osteopathic Medical Board's Web site shows that it has taken action against Reich, but it provides few details.

The site shows that he "successfully completed" a 10-year probation period in 1994 and shows that an accusation was filed in 2003. It says that "case is pending. Physician has not yet had a hearing nor been found guilty of these charges."

The listing does not show that he had his license suspended in 1982, before he was put on probation.

It also does not say that he was arrested in 2002 on sexual battery charges and pleaded no contest to one count of sexual exploitation by a physician, a misdemeanor.

Reich and his attorney could not be reached for comment despite repeated attempts by CNN.

The state osteopathic medical board is scheduled to hold a hearing on his case in February. Reich is free to treat patients until it issues a decision.

The site also lets users know how to get the full public case file.

Those documents include allegations that he fondled one woman during an exam, asked her if it felt good and then kissed her. Another woman said that Reich was sexually excited during an exam and asked her to stimulate herself so that he could diagnose an infection. Another said he asked her to stimulate herself in front of him and later asked her to demonstrate an oral sex technique on his thumb.

Wolfe said that while restaurants and cars get regular inspections and safety checks, doctors can, for the most part, keep their licenses for life.

"There isn't anywhere near the scrutiny -- Consumer Reports regularly tests auto safety, so if you want to buy a car and want to find out the comparisons between one car and another in terms of safety there are objective data there," Wolfe said. "There's just nothing like that for physicians."

"What you see on the Web site is the tiny fraction of physicians that have done such horrendous things that they have come to medical board attention and, depending on what state they've gotten in, they've either gotten a slap on the wrist or they may have their license revoked or suspended," Wolfe said.

Dr. James Thompson, head of the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSM), says that 80 percent of doctors facing disciplinary action have licenses in more than one state.

Because each board is independent, the only way to do a thorough check is to contact the boards in all 50 states.

There are services that will do that for a fee. The FSM's www.docinfo.org will check out physicians for $9.95 a report.

"A disciplinary action against a physician doesn't necessarily mean he's bad; someone with no record of disciplinary action isn't necessarily good," Thompson said. "Check with friends and other physicians when checking out a doctor."

Thompson said that states have different rules and that some actions involve administrative problems or violations, like drunken driving, that are not directly related to a doctor's medical ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, this is the only part I have issues with:

Chambers filed a complaint against Dr. Laurence Reich after the February 2000 appointment, adding to a list of allegations that date back to the 1970s, according to documents on file with the California Osteopathic Medical Board -- which regulates osteopaths but not medical doctors. Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law.

Uh, aren't DOs also medical doctors? I don't think the article is saying that DOs are bad since they are talking about one specific case, and since this is related to his board licensure, the reporter had to make explain why it was the California Osteopathic Board that was responsible for this. Throughout the entire article, they have never once impinged on his ability as a physician to treat patients, and have always referred to him as a physician. However, I think it will confuse the average viewer to hear that there are physicians---gynocologists---that aren't medical doctors, even though throughout the entire article, he was indicated as one. Ugh, why can't reporters get their facts straight? :rolleyes:

It is not as bad as it looks.

They have to find a way to explain it. Why are DOs physicians, yet not regulated by the same board? To the general public and most educated people that doesn't make sence. Heck... most in the DO field (or entering the DO field), don't really know there identity either.

DO med students and physicians should know they are under the microscope and have to be on their best behavior, at rotations, residency, clinic etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen fellas, DO or MD that doctor is a psychopath who shouldn't be allowed to practice. Only we can change this in the future as practicing DO's or MD's. Be competent and respectful to patients and believe me you will make a good name for yourself.

bkpa2med said:
Listen fellas, DO or MD that doctor is a psychopath who shouldn't be allowed to practice. Only we can change this in the future as practicing DO's or MD's. Be competent and respectful to patients and believe me you will make a good name for yourself.

You're right; however had this been an MD, the article wouldn't have had this wonderful little line: "Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law."

I suppose the next step will be for Anheuser-Busch to throw a "Real Men of Genius" radio spot our way - and given the way things work that one radio advertisement would undo a thousand years of "little, yellow, different" propaganda from the powers that be.

goodrain said:
Yup, another story cropped up. Here's the website link and article.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/02/doctors.records/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Yvette Chambers said she wasn't comfortable with the way her doctor touched her, or with his questions about her sex life during a gynecological exam at a Los Angeles-area clinic.

"I was questioning myself as to why I felt so uncomfortable, because it's a doctor, he's a doctor. Look at him he's in a doctor's (office), his beard's cleanly cut," Chambers said.

Then, she says, he asked her out to lunch.

"At that point I realized 'eww, eww, I have just been molested. I have just been violated. He just asked me out,' " Chambers said.

This case illustrates the wisdom of checking a doctor's background if any suspicions arise. There were about 700,000 doctors, including osteopaths, practicing in the United States last year, and 5,263 -- or less than 1 percent -- were disciplined for a variety of infractions, according to the Federation of State Medical Boards.

Physicians are licensed and disciplined by individual state medical boards, so that's the best place to check to see if a doctor has had complaints or disciplinary action taken against him or her.

"States can do as little or as much as they want," said Dr. Sidney Wolfe, director of Public Citizen's Health Research Group.

The California Osteopathic Medical Board's Web site shows that it has taken action against Reich, but it provides few details.

The site shows that he "successfully completed" a 10-year probation period in 1994 and shows that an accusation was filed in 2003. It says that "case is pending. Physician has not yet had a hearing nor been found guilty of these charges."

The listing does not show that he had his license suspended in 1982, before he was put on probation.

It also does not say that he was arrested in 2002 on sexual battery charges and pleaded no contest to one count of sexual exploitation by a physician, a misdemeanor.

Reich and his attorney could not be reached for comment despite repeated attempts by CNN.

The state osteopathic medical board is scheduled to hold a hearing on his case in February. Reich is free to treat patients until it issues a decision.

The site also lets users know how to get the full public case file.

Those documents include allegations that he fondled one woman during an exam, asked her if it felt good and then kissed her. Another woman said that Reich was sexually excited during an exam and asked her to stimulate herself so that he could diagnose an infection. Another said he asked her to stimulate herself in front of him and later asked her to demonstrate an oral sex technique on his thumb.

Wolfe said that while restaurants and cars get regular inspections and safety checks, doctors can, for the most part, keep their licenses for life.

"There isn't anywhere near the scrutiny -- Consumer Reports regularly tests auto safety, so if you want to buy a car and want to find out the comparisons between one car and another in terms of safety there are objective data there," Wolfe said. "There's just nothing like that for physicians."

"What you see on the Web site is the tiny fraction of physicians that have done such horrendous things that they have come to medical board attention and, depending on what state they've gotten in, they've either gotten a slap on the wrist or they may have their license revoked or suspended," Wolfe said.

Dr. James Thompson, head of the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSM), says that 80 percent of doctors facing disciplinary action have licenses in more than one state.

Because each board is independent, the only way to do a thorough check is to contact the boards in all 50 states.

There are services that will do that for a fee. The FSM's www.docinfo.org will check out physicians for $9.95 a report.

"A disciplinary action against a physician doesn't necessarily mean he's bad; someone with no record of disciplinary action isn't necessarily good," Thompson said. "Check with friends and other physicians when checking out a doctor."

Thompson said that states have different rules and that some actions involve administrative problems or violations, like drunken driving, that are not directly related to a doctor's medical ability.
figures...

NTM said:
figures...

Thanks for your input. I'm wondering if at one point you were molested by a DO. Anyways, thanks for always being here (osteopathic forums) and lending us your infinite wisdom.

And before you paraphrase any of your previous posts, no, i am not insecure, but i bet you feel better about yourself now that there is "proof." Maybe he shouldn't have stepped outside the realm of primary care. You know, DO territory.

rjfreed said:
Thanks for your input. I'm wondering if at one point you were molested by a DO. Anyways, thanks for always being here (osteopathic forums) and lending us your infinite wisdom.

And before you paraphrase any of your previous posts, no, i am not insecure, but i bet you feel better about yourself now that there is "proof." Maybe he shouldn't have stepped outside the realm of primary care. You know, DO territory.
Exactly my point, WOW you must make your fellow aspiring DO's so proud with your molestation comment. I can tell you are the cream of the crop.

NTM said:
figures...

Exactly my point, WOW you must make your fellow aspiring MD's so proud with your "figures..." comment. I can tell you are the cream of the crop.

Taus said:
"chief resident" was banned a few weeks ago....glad we have "ntm" to take his place..
"Taus" you must feel so big and bad that you got accepted into "osteopathic school" and then woke up to reality that your chosen profession has been under fire since the beginning of time. Its hard to accept especially now that you can't turn back so I understand the need to be so gung ho and a defender of the DO philosophy. Here's the sad truth, I come on here to see what *****s with no clue about what it means to study medicine and the lifetime commitment that we medical students have made after working our butts off to get into medical school, while many of you couldn't so you go to your back up plan and then pretend with all of your might that you believe in the DO philosophy and plan to do this and practice that and utilize OMT...blah, blah, blah. Well this is what you said to the DO admissions committee. Then after 4 years you say to yourself, man I better try to go into an allopathic residency so I can specialize and never use OMT again! Maybe I can even just get Dr. in front of my lab coat instead of using DO! You guys crack me up. Spend 4 yrs of your life pretending and then trying to sneak in academic medicine via the backdoor - nothing more than hipocrits in my book. Oh another thing, your comment about "chief resident" being banned...guess what...Im sure he could care less and guess what else? I dont either, but chalk this one up for a moral victory for you and the DO's out there in cyberspace! YEAH!

The real question is, why would anybody ask her out? she looks worse than my toe jam.

NTM said:
"Taus" you must feel so big and bad that you got accepted into "osteopathic school" and then woke up to reality that your chosen profession has been under fire since the beginning of time. Its hard to accept especially now that you can't turn back so I understand the need to be so gung ho and a defender of the DO philosophy. Here's the sad truth, I come on here to see what *****s with no clue about what it means to study medicine and the lifetime commitment that we medical students have made after working our butts off to get into medical school, while many of you couldn't so you go to your back up plan and then pretend with all of your might that you believe in the DO philosophy and plan to do this and practice that and utilize OMT...blah, blah, blah. Well this is what you said to the DO admissions committee. Then after 4 years you say to yourself, man I better try to go into an allopathic residency so I can specialize and never use OMT again! Maybe I can even just get Dr. in front of my lab coat instead of using DO! You guys crack me up. Spend 4 yrs of your life pretending and then trying to sneak in academic medicine via the backdoor - nothing more than hipocrits in my book. Oh another thing, your comment about "chief resident" being banned...guess what...Im sure he could care less and guess what else? I dont either, but chalk this one up for a moral victory for you and the DO's out there in cyberspace! YEAH!

haha...wow something is really chapping ur a$$ tonight..... lots of emotion there for an internet forum at 3am on a Fri night...

Members don't see this ad :)
NTM said:
Dude, I think I speak for everyone here. Your a douche. Thats all. :thumbdown:

NTM said:
...Im sure he could care less and guess what else? I dont either, but chalk this one up for a moral victory for you and the DO's out there in cyberspace! YEAH!

The word is "HYPOCRITE" and the phrase is "COULDN'T care less". Real genius :rolleyes:

NTM said:

Thanks for your thoughtful comments! :thumbdown:

"chief resident" was banned a few weeks ago....glad we have "ntm" to take his place..

Dude, I think I speak for everyone here. Your a douche. Thats all.

I couldn't have said it better.

Here's the sad truth, I come on here to see what *****s with no clue about what it means to study medicine and the lifetime commitment that we medical students have made after working our butts off to get into medical school, while many of you couldn't so you go to your back up plan and then pretend with all of your might that you believe in the DO philosophy and plan to do this and practice that and utilize OMT...blah, blah, blah.

Thank God there is someone to frequent this forum and bring us "unqualified, back-door-loving *****s" back to down to our sorry reality.
:rolleyes:

Wow.. some of you guys were really busy early in the morning insulting each other left and right. Good to know you are not out drinking and trying to socialize with other not cyber world people.

A yessss.. NTM... Nice posts. I see someone was drinking late at night. You must have some kind of deep frustrations. Are you feeling okay? Are you bored? Or just depressed? Are you in medical school by the way? Or you are presently trying to apply and that is making you frustrated???? hmmm talk to us we are listening and we care. If it is sexual frustration... then you should
definitely be using the internet for other purposes and not on SDN. Hint..
hint...

The fact of the matter, most of you guys are just getting emotionally defensive. I am sure if you do a search you can find 100s or 1000s of MD physicians that have serious charges against them. Now if you calculate the percentage of DOs with these kind of charges and the percentage of MDs with the same, you will have the answer. Prob no significant difference. Orrrrr maybe even less charges against DOs.

NTM said:

Better luck with your next screen name...

NTM said:
Here's the sad truth, I come on here to see what *****s with no clue about what it means to study medicine and the lifetime commitment that we medical students have made after working our butts off to get into medical school, while many of you couldn't so you go to your back up plan and then pretend with all of your might that you believe in the DO philosophy and plan to do this and practice that and utilize OMT...blah, blah, blah. Well this is what you said to the DO admissions committee. Then after 4 years you say to yourself, man I better try to go into an allopathic residency so I can specialize and never use OMT again! Maybe I can even just get Dr. in front of my lab coat instead of using DO! You guys crack me up. Spend 4 yrs of your life pretending and then trying to sneak in academic medicine via the backdoor - nothing more than hipocrits in my book. Oh another thing, your comment about "chief resident" being banned...guess what...Im sure he could care less and guess what else? I dont either, but chalk this one up for a moral victory for you and the DO's out there in cyberspace! YEAH!

Where do you go to school that's so amazing? "Lifetime commitment"??? I'm sure there are plenty of D.O.'s who don't want to practice for life...right? Who are you? Get an education, brain, and life.

P.S. - Some of us only applied to D.O. schools. Part of my desicion was to not be classmates with egotistical fetchers like you. Thanks for firming up that decision for me.

Old_Mil said:
You're right; however had this been an MD, the article wouldn't have had this wonderful little line: "Osteopaths have different training than medical doctors but are treated the same under California law."

I suppose the next step will be for Anheuser-Busch to throw a "Real Men of Genius" radio spot our way - and given the way things work that one radio advertisement would undo a thousand years of "little, yellow, different" propaganda from the powers that be.

Hi there,
The fact that this physician was an osteopathic physician had nothing to do with his improper behavior. Had this person been a nurse, RT, physical therapist, he still would be a jerk. The problem with this story is that the term "ostepath" was used as if there is a huge difference between a DO and a MD. If the person had graduated from an allopathic medical school, the term "allopath" would not have been used. The author of the story implied that being an osteopathic physician somehow made this person an idiot. This is the flaw of the story.

Yes, there is a difference between the education of an osteopathic physician and an allopathic physician but the training is equivalent and had nothing to do with the actions of this "scumbag". DOs and MDs should be treated the same under California or any other state practice laws.

Does this mean that every student of osteopathic medicine needs to be ashamed of their practice and training? Absolutely not! As one of the above posters stated, "Treat every patient respectfully and professionally". Allopathic or osteopathic, there are always going to be jerks who are able to get through medical school and practice. They reflect badly on all of use who are physicians regardless of our medical school training.

njbmd :)

:rolleyes: Its funny that both the person that wrote the article and the person saying that doctors are not scutinized by anybody but themselves have convieniently left out the fact that attornies and writers fall into this catagory also. They have also left out the fact that now doctors by far undergo much much more training than either of these two groups of people and yet we are the only ones that it is acceptable to persecute financially.
If a writer says something wrong because he/she is insane or an attorny (who have only recently started into their own system to be found wrong in their ethics to the point of financial awards for their victims to which its prima facia is ludicrous) brings an indictment against an innocent person or some swindles a boat load of class action money or worse,sells out to the other side, rarely is there any consequence for these people.
Certainly the Osteopathic has ashare of nut cases in it but so does society as a whole.
The screening for doctors is such that I would be willing to put our "nut case" rate up against either of the two professions mentioned earlier or dare I say any profession or non-profession, white or blue collar, anywhere in the world.

NTM said:
Exactly my point, WOW you must make your fellow aspiring DO's so proud with your molestation comment. I can tell you are the cream of the crop.

Damn, this guy is a jerk. Just look at his other posts, filled with hate. If you want to know where he goes to school, here is one of his posts in the OB forum:

"Hi there,
If you dont mind I also have a question. Im a 2nd year at the Univ of Miami also interested in OB/GYN. I didnt know about the recent surge of interest, but how hard exactly is it to place in this residency? Step 1 scores etc? Also, Im a guy. Any info will be great thanks!"

Grow up dude... :laugh:

Don't feed the trolls........

(P.S. There is nothing wrong with this article. It doesn't imply anything negative against the profession. It is targeted at an individual.)

This is just sad. I've heard way too much of this lately. I'm writing the following letter to the Osteopathic Medical Board of Caifornia and I would encourage all of you reading this to do the same. This man should be taken off the streets.

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is JD. I am a 4th year medical student at the University of North Texas Health Science Center's Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I am writing you to inform you I am ashamed of your inaction regarding the case of Dr. Laurence Reich, who is under your jurisdiction as an Osteopathic physician in California. It has come to my attention that Dr. Reich has had multiple sexually-based complaints brought against him over the course of the past 30+ years and has had several sanctions taken against him, including suspension of his license. Now he is to stand before you again in sexually-based complaints filed by AT LEAST two women in the past 5 years.

I admonish you to revoke his license and encourage his prosecution under criminal law. This man is a HUGE blemish on the face of Osteopathic medicine and should not be practicing medicine in any city, county, state, or country. He should be publicly denounced and the public made aware that the Osteopathic medical profession does not suffer sex offenders lightly. I then encourage you to participate as completely as possible with criminal prosecution to insure that Dr. Reich be convicted and registered with the national sex offenders database.

Thank you for your swift and complete attention to this matter.

DeLaughterDO

goodrain said:

Although I do have to admit that I am a bit frustrated with this article the above bolded quote is a historical artifact. In the late 60s and early 70s in California, DO's were not considered medical doctors. Everything has changed since then, but it wouldn't be hard to dig up articles like that in an attempt to tarnish the name of a person.

NTM said:

Wow...you are really going to be suprised someday when (if) you actually graduate and begin working in the real world. Good luck to you - you're definitely going to need all you can get.

DrB said:
Damn, this guy is a jerk. Just look at his other posts, filled with hate. If you want to know where he goes to school, here is one of his posts in the OB forum:

"Hi there,
If you dont mind I also have a question. Im a 2nd year at the Univ of Miami also interested in OB/GYN. I didnt know about the recent surge of interest, but how hard exactly is it to place in this residency? Step 1 scores etc? Also, Im a guy. Any info will be great thanks!"

Grow up dude... :laugh:
Hey Einstein,
Do you actually think I would put where I went to school so nosy dorks like you could track me down? Get real and get a life, dont you have OMT to go study or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.