Social Media and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been spoken about ad nauseum, but for those who are active on social media, is there any specific things to do prior to application season?

I like to think that I've been really cognizant and mindful of my social media presence over the past 4 years. Twitter/IG are private and have been for the past year and a half. FB is private and I've been careful about photos and tagged pictures etc etc. for as long as I can remember. I'm thinking for FB it might just be easier to deactivate the account completely. I see many people changing their names prior to application season, does that actually help? Or does deactivating it completely ensure more privacy.

Members don't see this ad.

I knew people who deactivated before the season and reactivated after. That's probably the safest. Certainly changing your name will help make it harder to find, but the safest thing is to go back and change who has access to all of your postings. Anything remotely controversial should either be deleted or switched to "Only me", etc.

If you've been mindful every time you post, then it shouldn't be an issue. The truth is though that people who are most active on social media tend not to be the most mindful of their entire content. Its rare we'll actually be doing a deep dive though unless we are strongly considering someone.

Reactions: 1 user
People at my school took all three approaches (deactivating, changing names, setting account to private) but I'd say the most common was just setting their account to private. During one of the residency events available at our school we had 2 programs say that they did pull up social media accounts occasionally. One of the coordinators said it appears unusual if someone has no social media accounts and also made the claim that it didn't matter if people had changed their names. I think that encounter may have influenced my class but regardless everyone matched fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew people who deactivated before the season and reactivated after. That's probably the safest. Certainly changing your name will help make it harder to find, but the safest thing is to go back and change who has access to all of your postings. Anything remotely controversial should either be deleted or switched to "Only me", etc.

If you've been mindful every time you post, then it shouldn't be an issue. The truth is though that people who are most active on social media tend not to be the most mindful of their entire content. Its rare we'll actually be doing a deep dive though unless we are strongly considering someone.

Ain't that the truth. If you want to be brash on the internet, do it on random forums like this, not Facebook.

Just don't be one of those obnoxious people who changes their FB name to something else. It looks so stupid and oblivious and I guarantee it made no difference other than making oneself look like an idiot.

Speaking of social media, is there a thread on that U. Incarnate Word student who made an offensive post about the recent protest/riot? There's a petition going around to get him suspended.

Speaking of social media, is there a thread on that U. Incarnate Word student who made an offensive post about the recent protest/riot? There's a petition going around to get him suspended.

Not a smart post by any means, but the personal attacks and petitions to get him suspended are just egregious. Let his program decide if he has a track record of being a POS and if so then they can take the appropriate steps to reprimand him. Cancel culture needs to go

Reactions: 12 users
Not a smart post by any means, but the personal attacks and petitions to get him suspended are just egregious. Let his program decide if he has a track record of being a POS and if so then they can take the appropriate steps to reprimand him. Cancel culture needs to go
Unfortunately in 2020 it seems that many people are completely unable to tolerate others who do not 100% agree not only his or her view point, but also the magnitude of rage/emotion built up from that viewpoint... much less question any small aspect of their assumptions/view point. Not just talking about current events, but essentially anything major up for discussion.
For that reason I never post anything on social media (FB/twtr/insta), much less anything political. Some could turn a discussion of anything into political plight. I'll pass.

Reactions: 7 users

What was the post?

What was the post?

Think of the opposite view point of the mainstream media take on police brutality. Not here to defend the post, but damn people are quick to jump on the lets get someone expelled/suspended train

Reactions: 2 users
Think of the opposite view point of the mainstream media take on police brutality. Not here to defend the post, but damn people are quick to jump on the lets get someone expelled/suspended train

Yeah, I feel you. The cancel culture thing is annoying at times. But I do see both sides. Like Drew Brees comment lol. I'll still draft him in my fantasy league, but come on Drew, have some common sense!

Yeah, I feel you. The cancel culture thing is annoying at times. But I do see both sides. Like Drew Brees comment lol. I'll still draft him in my fantasy league, but come on Drew, have some common sense!

Hot take, Brees is going to decline big time this year. I wouldn't take him or Rivers unless they're on the waiver wire. I'm all in on getting my dood mahomes for the 3rd year in a row. Him plus McCaffery have been gold for my league from undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
What was the post?

He called people protesting against police brutality, which is the black lives matter movement and a majority of which is black, animals who hate everyone else and don’t care. He then went on to say systemic racism does not exist and neither does black oppression. He added that no amount of free programs, govt housing, etc will stop them from hating whites. He added some statistics on how much crimes black people commit. It was not a difference of political opinion but a racist tirade on his personal Facebook. His whole post is on Twitter you can find it by searching UIWSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
He called people protesting against police brutality, which is the black lives matter movement and a majority of which is black, animals who hate everyone else and don’t care. He then went on to say systemic racism does not exist and neither does black oppression. He added that no amount of free programs, govt housing, etc will stop them from hating whites. He added some statistics on how much crimes black people commit. It was not a difference of political opinion but a racist tirade on his personal Facebook. His whole post is on Twitter you can find it by searching UIWSOM

I suppose I skim read it at what can be called 2.5x speed (thanks dedicated), and I will make no apologies for what he wrote or try to defend him at all, my issue is more with cancel culture as a whole and how quick we all are to attack someone we disagree with. In his particular case it's sad to see those sort of views espoused and I'm sure his school will be making the correct call on his future (we can hope)

I suppose I skim read it at what can be called 2.5x speed (thanks dedicated), and I will make no apologies for what he wrote or try to defend him at all, my issue is more with cancel culture as a whole and how quick we all are to attack someone we disagree with. In his particular case it's sad to see those sort of views espoused and I'm sure his school will be making the correct call on his future (we can hope)

Oh yeah with cancel culture it can definitely get out of hand. In this case I think it is pretty significant because he is a grown adult harboring these feelings and is in a position where his actions can have life or death consequences on black people and POC. Not to mention the pain this causes the black medical students at UIWSOM. I really hope they do. I could not imagine having to continue studying knowing you have an openly racist classmate go unchecked.

Reactions: 3 users
TLDR:

Social media will never help your app, only hurt it. Why play the game?

Reactions: 4 users
I think people are finally understanding the dangers of social media and the internet with its unrestricted and unfiltered access to information that include your lives. You cannot just post everything that comes to your mind (look back at some of your posts from a few years ago and see if any of them embarrass you now).

If you in any way think your post may be controversial, take it down. Why risk it. Also, unless you are running a professional profile/page a different name or profile picture is a good idea to, on the sheer basis you don't want random patients etc finding out about your personal life.

I think people are finally understanding the dangers of social media and the internet with its unrestricted and unfiltered access to information that include your lives. You cannot just post everything that comes to your mind (look back at some of your posts from a few years ago and see if any of them embarrass you now).

If you in any way think your post may be controversial, take it down. Why risk it. Also, unless you are running a professional profile/page a different name or profile picture is a good idea to, on the sheer basis you don't want random patients etc finding out about your personal life.
Eh just have your normal name and don’t put stupid stuff in there and keep it private? I never understand why people leave their stuff public. Social media has somehow made people think that anyone actually cares what they have to say. I literally only use mine to keep up with family and sports

Eh just have your normal name and don’t put stupid stuff in there and keep it private? I never understand why people leave their stuff public. Social media has somehow made people think that anyone actually cares what they have to say. I literally only use mine to keep up with family and sports

I would agree with your philosophy.

But counter argument being that one lady who was hired as an intern but then they found out she at one point posted about "giving Jewish people the wrong medication" in some twisted revenge against Israel. Aside from the fact it was good she got caught for that, some people legit did and continue to post some crazy/offensive/crazy offensive stuff and never thought it would come back to bite them.

I would agree with your philosophy.

But counter argument being that one lady who was hired as an intern but then they found out she at one point posted about "giving Jewish people the wrong medication" in some twisted revenge against Israel. Aside from the fact it was good she got caught for that, some people legit did and continue to post some crazy/offensive/crazy offensive stuff and never thought it would come back to bite them.
Well that’s just 1) making it private and 2) not being an ass. For the vast majority of people #2 isn’t that hard.
My point is why even make things public to begin with? And I never understand people making super long SJW/political posts. Nobody on Facebook is going to be swayed by whatever you say and nobody really cares what you say. Use social media to share pictures and catch up and it will rarely ever bite you in the butt.
Idk I’m 27 and like some social media but it definitely ruined the world giving too many crazy idiots a platform

Reactions: 2 users
Oh yeah with cancel culture it can definitely get out of hand. In this case I think it is pretty significant because he is a grown adult harboring these feelings and is in a position where his actions can have life or death consequences on black people and POC. Not to mention the pain this causes the black medical students at UIWSOM. I really hope they do. I could not imagine having to continue studying knowing you have an openly racist classmate go unchecked.

To be completely honest, the healthcare system doesn't need him. We already end up treating POC poorly, we don't need any overt racists added to our ranks.

My OB staff in med school was one of the most outwardly racist physicians I've ever met, and all I could think was how half of his patients have no idea how little he respects them. A-hole made me miserable for a month and I was so happy to leave that place. I'm just thankful they stopped sending students his way after reviews from us.

Reactions: 6 users
Well that’s just 1) making it private and 2) not being an ass. For the vast majority of people #2 isn’t that hard.
My point is why even make things public to begin with? And I never understand people making super long SJW/political posts. Nobody on Facebook is going to be swayed by whatever you say and nobody really cares what you say. Use social media to share pictures and catch up and it will rarely ever bite you in the butt.
Idk I’m 27 and like some social media but it definitely ruined the world giving too many crazy idiots a platform

Not to get too far off topic, but I totally agree with just not doing this at all. Everyone so far in this thread and the other thread specifically about that guy’s post, has repeatedly said how would minorities feel safe under his care after that. Well, not to sound like ALM, but I would rather not alienate any group of people who may be under my care. Including minorities, but also cops, racists, members of the media, MAGA, Antifa, whoever would be mentioned in long political rants right now.

Not to get too far off topic, but I totally agree with just not doing this at all. Everyone so far in this thread and the other thread specifically about that guy’s post, has repeatedly said how would minorities feel safe under his care after that. Well, not to sound like ALM, but I would rather not alienate any group of people who may be under my care. Including minorities, but also cops, racists, members of the media, MAGA, Antifa, whoever would be mentioned in long political rants right now.

Not to mention the fact that political posts just make you look like a self important windbag. Imo if you’re so passionate about political goings on then you should run for office and more power to you. If not then please spare the rest of us the long winded tirade. If my social media consisted of only funny memes I’d be forever content

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I haven’t ever had my real last name on facebook or anywhere else. I’m literally not searchable with google - you google my real name and get nothing but people who aren’t me because I’ve never used it online, so it’s not even cached somewhere as far as I know lmao. I wonder if that’s actually going to present the opposite problem when applying for residency.

More important than for residency apps, though, it bears in mind that we are working with the general population, and they can be creepy. I’ve had friends who‘ve been stalked or harassed by problem patients and I’d like to think not having our real names on there at least makes it slightly more difficult for the boundary-jumping weirdos to find us.

That being said, I’ve still had patients and family members manage to figure out who I was and send me friend requests or try to contact me, so even using a fake name is not foolproof. If you’re friends with your coworkers and your coworkers use their real names, and you have a picture of yourself up, it’s not too hard for people who know your coworkers to find your profile regardless of what name you’re using. Just something to keep in mind.

I haven’t ever had my real last name on facebook or anywhere else. I’m literally not searchable with google - you google my real name and get nothing but people who aren’t me because I’ve never used it online, so it’s not even cached somewhere as far as I know lmao. I wonder if that’s actually going to present the opposite problem when applying for residency.

More important than for residency apps, though, it bears in mind that we are working with the general population, and they can be creepy. I’ve had friends who‘ve been stalked or harassed by problem patients and I’d like to think not having our real names on there at least makes it slightly more difficult for the boundary-jumping weirdos to find us.

That being said, I’ve still had patients and family members manage to figure out who I was and send me friend requests or try to contact me, so even using a fake name is not foolproof. If you’re friends with your coworkers and your coworkers use their real names, and you have a picture of yourself up, it’s not too hard for people who know your coworkers to find your profile regardless of what name you’re using. Just something to keep in mind.
Ive had that happen too. I just leave the request in there for a while and if it ever comes up I say something along the lines of "I never go on" or "I forgot the password and cant get in". Then after a while just delete the request. It's annoying but the people who I actually want to be able to contact me aren't tech savvy enough to find me with a fake name haha I have a real terrible social media presence anyway so if you get access to it there really isn't that much to look at