Negatives to Canadian Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ausmil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
being a U.S. citizen, are there any downsides to applying to Canadian Medical schools? Do American Citizens still get in to their schools ever? I have no idea about them, but have heard that I might want to apply. If anyone can give me any info, please do. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ausmil said:
being a U.S. citizen, are there any downsides to applying to Canadian Medical schools? Do American Citizens still get in to their schools ever? I have no idea about them, but have heard that I might want to apply. If anyone can give me any info, please do. Thanks

As an american you're going to have a really hard time getting accepted into a cdn med school if you didn't get into one in the US. I know McGill is pretty popular among americans as one of the few schools in Canada that will accept americans (i think they might even have a bias towards them than taking out-of-province canadians - could be wrong on this though). It's a lot tougher to get into Ontario if you don't have a 3.7 GPA and at least a 30 on the MCAT - the schools there are very cut and dry about what min requirements you have to have and if you have below that then you have no shot in hell of getting an interview. For other provinces they have very few spots for out-of-province people (similar to public med schools here) and I think even fewer for international people.

Hope this helps!