Negotiating in academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgoblue2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in fellowship and trying to find my first job as an attending. Have several offers, but I think I've narrowed it down to two *relatively* big-name academic places. Program A just offered me a job, but at about 50k less than program B. I think I want the job at A more, mostly for location, but that's a pretty big hit. I want to try and negotiate with them, and attempt to leverage my offer at B, but have no idea how to do this. I guess my questions are:
1) Is it possible to negotiate with academic programs? I've heard they can be exquisitely recalcitrant.
2) Any tips on how to start the process?

Members don't see this ad.

You miss 100% of the chances you don't take. But that said, I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you have something extra to offer. They're probably just starting you on the same standard compensation/promotion track as every other new attending.

Reactions: 3 users
my assumption with academic programs is they will not negotiate at all on the salary as that is probably set in stone for everybody at various levels within the department. Might get them to budge on things like moving expenses/sign on bonus type stuff if you are lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
The academic "private-demics" program I trained at, most everyone was on the same standard salary track - things like bonus, student loan repayment or academic days were negotiable.

Also 50k is $37,500 difference after taxes assuming married with an income producing spouse. Not much when you think about it - sure it's $375k after tax over 10 years but only you know how much to value that amount.

Reactions: 1 user
It can’t hurt to ask. Our practice is transparent and fair, so you wouldn’t be able to negotiate for more income. You probably can’t negotiate for more academic/admin time right out of training either. You’ll get what your track gets. One time things like signing bonus, moving expenses, etc. are possible. Other places may have less transparency and equality. But if backdoor deals and secret bonuses are the norm, is that the place you really want to be long term?

Agreed with above - you might be successful with a signing bonus or moving expenses. Probably not worth much else. Could be worth politely asking about...

You can't negotiate your salary which is based on your appointment. But...
1. Within that track, you may be able to start at assistant professor, level 2, or even associate professor, with a higher starting salary.
2. Based on your training/track record, you may ask for acceleration, like go from level 1 to 2 in one year vs. two.

AND, remember TIME is MONEY. You may ask for more non-clinical time, i.e. work less, for the same base salary. You may end up working the same amount, but there is probably bonus or overtime, so essentially, more money.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 to the non-clinical time thing. Salaries at true academic gigs usually set in stone. Non-dollar aspects of the job often very negotiable.

Reactions: 1 user
But make sure you get any and all concessions in writing. I know of plenty of people who have had a chair promise them something in a chat only for them to show up a few months later and have it be like that conversation never happened.

Reactions: 1 users