This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms.2:30

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dental school tuition is steep.

I heard from somewhere that we can try to "negotiate" scholarships into our financial aid package. I was wondering if that's a good idea and how people can go about doing that without being "rude"?

For an example, I would love to go to your school and it's my top school yet "School X" gave me some scholarships. Would I be able to get anything similar...?

Would they just be like no we got people lining up that would pay an absurd amount. Or maybe like hey you get what you get. Or worse, seems like you don't want it that bad as mind as well give it to someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The dentist I work for told me about this, but since he graduated a while ago I would like some more insight on this as well!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You try not to bring up the scholarship thing.

Just tell then you really want to go to their school and but the cost is more than the other school and financially it is a hard decision. Ask them if there’s any way the school can help.

Doesn’t hurt and they won’t rescind your acceptance because of that. I nabbed anywhere from 50k to 80k depending on the school. That is enough to have a steak dinner every night and then some.

Reactions: 3 users
is it possible to get scholarships after you put down your deposit?
or will they pass on the scholarships to those who haven't put the deposit yet

is it possible to get scholarships after you put down your deposit?
or will they pass on the scholarships to those who haven't put the deposit yet

Possible yes. Common occurrence, no...and it really depends on the school/how many scholarships they tend to give out annually

Go for it.

Last year I got into a school that offered a scholarship, so i told another school i got into i would attend if they matched the offer i got elsewhere. It worked. In the end it didnt really matter cuz im on HPSP so i dont have to out any sort of loans and my entire bill is paid for by the navy

Remember that youre the one paying here, so try and get the best deal you can.

Reactions: 1 user
You try not to bring up the scholarship thing.

Just tell then you really want to go to their school and but the cost is more than the other school and financially it is a hard decision. Ask them if there’s any way the school can help.

Doesn’t hurt and they won’t rescind your acceptance because of that. I nabbed anywhere from 50k to 80k depending on the school. That is enough to have a steak dinner every night and then some.
How soon after acceptance did you call those schools to ask about if they could help?

Who should we contact at the school if we want to try to negotiate? Only the financial aid person? Add the dean? Anybody else?

Reactions: 2 users
Do you recommend email or phone call? Or does it not really matter?

do you think if I pay my deposit now, then it would hurt my chances of being handed down a scholarship from someone who denied their seat?

There are hundreds of people who will take your spot in a moments notice. Why would a school give up free money?

I got between 15k-80k from different schools by just asking. My friends were able to get up to 150k

Schools will give you money if they really want you there. It is not all objective

There are hundreds of people who will take your spot in a moments notice. Why would a school give up free money?
I received an additional 20k by asking when they already offered 80k. Schools give more money to students they want..if they ask lol

Reactions: 5 users