Neitz color vision gene therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FiremedicMike

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To my knowledge, the last update on this process is that they were awaiting FDA approval for human trial.. I've tried emailing them and I get no response..

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on Dr. Neitz's gene therapy for color vision correction? I figure if any think-tank would know, it'd be here..

Thanks!
 
I worked there a couple years ago. The therapy works in monkeys as a subretinal injection. As of a couple years ago, they were working on a better delivery vector which could make intravit injections effectual, but without rapid progress. The plan was to then look toward human trials. No clue if they've made any significant progress since then. Also, the therapy appears to wear off after a few years and thus need repeat injections - though I doubt that's been published yet.
 
I'm a resident at UW. Roughly - They are doing trials on humans and its working!
Oh, cool! Good to know things are progressing.

On another note, how's the ophtho residency at UW? I've heard some horror stories about the admin's treatment of residents generally, but know little about their ophtho program. Love to get an insider's opinion if you're open to sharing.