Neonatology before OG and paeds?

Started by sjkpark
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sjkpark

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

At my school (in NZ) we have 4 weeks of "selective" programme. I'm quite keen on doing neonatology selective, but is this a good idea even before you've done OG or paed? (I'm doing selective first, then OG then paed, neonatology is part of OG at my school.)

Or would I get freaked out :scared: and want never to do anything to do with neonatology ever again?
 
sjkpark said:
Hi,

At my school (in NZ) we have 4 weeks of "selective" programme. I'm quite keen on doing neonatology selective, but is this a good idea even before you've done OG or paed? (I'm doing selective first, then OG then paed, neonatology is part of OG at my school.)

Or would I get freaked out :scared: and want never to do anything to do with neonatology ever again?

Here in the states Neonatology is one of the hardest rotations there is. That being said, the things that you generally deal with are very discrete: RDS, sepsis, NEC, et cet. The rotation can be quite grueling -- especially if you haven't built up your stamina. I think you could do it before peds, but would be better of doing it after. OB/GYN is completely irrelevant to NICU.

Ed
 
Thanks. I'll probably do Emergency Medicine for my selective, to help me prepare for end of the year clinical examination.

At our school neonatology is taught during O&G run, don't know the reason, but that's the way it's always been.