NEOUCOP vs. University of Toledo - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrsLucas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just started my Pre-Pharm studies, but I am trying to decide between the two schools mentioned above(both about an hour from where I reside). My questions for current and past students of both schools are:
Which school would better prepare me for the profession?
What are your opinions of these schools?
Pros/Cons?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
ML

Members don't see this ad.

I would say Toledo. Toledo is an established school with history, while NEOUCOP isn't accredited yet. Did you already start undergrad? If so, I think Toledo favors people from their undergrad, although I am not sure. It's nice to see a fellow Clevelander on these boards :)

Edit: I use the term "accredited" loosely since I know it isn't fully accredited, but someone will surely correct me as to it's current status

Thank you for your response, Adam. I just moved from Florida, and I am trying to decided whether to go to UT or start CSU (as it is one of the "preferred seating" schools for NEOUCOM). I wish I could stand the 2 1/2 hour drive (each way) to Columbus.

Members don't see this ad :)
The drive to Columbus isn't bad, there just isn't much to see. I like Columbus though, it seems so much cleaner than Cleveland (ESPECIALLY downtown!). Personally, I would go to Toledo, just because I know it is an established program. Plus, Toledo is a six year school I believe, while I think it would be hard to get all of the prereqs for NEOUCOP done in 2 years (they require biochem I and II I think).

I would suggest that you check out all of the schools you are interested in (CSU, UT, NEOUCOP), and see how you like them. Compare the financial aid packages also, you really don't want to graduate with a lot of debt. Also, don't forget about the other pharmacy schools nearby, like ONU and LECOM.

HTH

OSU was my top pick, and I have also considered ONU and UC, but the 2+ hour drive several times a week is a major no-no. I also don't have the option of staying at the campus during the week and coming home during the weekends, as I have a little one.
So, for now, my only two options are UT and NEOUCOP. Unless my wonderful hubby gets transferred back to FL. [day dreaming] ah, the beach :love:

I was accepted at NEUOCOP and I think you should definitely make some contacts and maybe find out more about the school. I was very impressed by their staff and alot of their plans for the future. It is a very different program where you are with med students for classes the first year + some other stuff later on. In my experience, they were more than willing to talk about their plans and what has worked so far for them and what they've had to change.

UT grad here. Now, even though UT has me on the leash for $115K in student loans the answer is UT and it's not even close.

Next September we are opening up our new building on the Health Science Campus.
We have wonderful rotation agreements with hospital systems such as Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, etc.
More alumni = more connections = more likely to get a job.
Our school has been opened since 1904.
Just in city life and things to do, Toledo > Rootstown.
We are a real university, we have fine arts, clubs, a beautiful campus, etc.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have another question: I have heard the the University of Toledo campus is not very safe. Is that true? What are your thoughts?

NEOUCOP has a very interesting curriculum. The med and pharmacy students start out in classes together and at some point you diverge and go your separate ways. NEOUCOP has the correct people in place to make it succeed plus I can tell you the staff cares about their students. You can walk in anytime to talk to the dean of the college of pharmacy, as his door is always open. The dean of their COP is also a professor on the medical school side. NEOUCOP came about because it was a medical school expanding into pharmacy. Their ACPE visits have gone very well. If you want to know more PM me.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have another question: I have heard the the University of Toledo campus is not very safe. Is that true? What are your thoughts?

Downtown Cleveland is "not very safe" to say the least :laugh:

Downtown Cleveland is "not very safe" to say the least :laugh:

What??? Not safe??? Are you sure we're talking about the same Cleveland???? ROFL

I hear ya. I got lost in downtown Cleveland and, boy, was I praying that I wouldn't run out of gas! And I lived in Miami for years. :laugh::laugh:

Wes, thank you for your PM, I will be PMing you back shortly...

I am finishing up my P2 year at NEOUCOP; they will be graduating their first class one year from today, so at this point they are in candidate status and yes, ACPE visits have gone very well. I have no concerns about not getting the accreditation. I also went to CSU for my undergrad and yes, biochem I and II are required. CSU has (or at least had) a fast track program where you could get everything done in 2 years, but that included taking some rough courses in the summer (ochem I & II, biochem I & II).

Compared to UT IPPE's, I like our program better. We get all of our hours in during the school year, which leaves summer for PAID internships without having to worry about interfering with IPPE hours. P1's do IPPE's at six different types of pharmacies (12 hrs total at each), so that's more to give a student a taste of what's out there. For P2 and P3 years, we spend two mornings a week (8a to noon) for 8 weeks each at a community pharmacy, institutional, and an elective (managed care, infusion, etc.) I can't describe Toledo's IPPE program exactly, but I think it is something like going to the same place over and over. Personally, I feel NEOUCOP has a nice offering of institutional sites to choose from, which include local Akron hospitals to Cleveland hospitals: Cleveland Clinic, Metro (level 1 trauma center), Louis Stokes VA hospital (one of the biggest VA hosp in the country), etc. Yes, Toledo has access the Clinic as well, but they aren't traveling there for IPPE's during the school year (unless its during a break) like we are.

The first two years (P1, P2) include shared classes with the M1 and M2 med students and I can tell you the classes are brutal, but I learned a great deal and passed with flying colors. :D

Toledo has a two-year pre-pharmacy section, then you must apply for the four year professional part. It is very, very competitive and for the hundreds of students in pre-pharmacy, only 100 or so (not sure of their exact class size) get chosen. At least for NEOUCOP, CSU has 15 designated seats. Still competitive, but your chances are better than UT. We are still obviously new and are fine tuning the program--student feedback has played a big role in that, so yes, the faculty is extremely approachable and truly want you to learn.

Kent (not Rootstown--a bunch of fields) is where most of the "nightlife" happens, not too exciting, but its enough to still have a social life; Kent State and U of Akron students are around, too. Toledo (where I am originally from many years ago) is lots of bars and restaurants, so it isn't a buzzing metropolis either. Crime is up everywhere and Toledo and Kent are no exceptions. Toledo is a real university with other studies--so what. I learn more about my future profession from talking to med students than I would a liberal arts major. Our campus is small, but all of the buildings are connected so you can get anywhere and stay out of the crappy weather (or walk outside if you like crappy weather).

So which to choose for you? If getting in to a program tops your list, your best chance is with NEOUCOP. I suggest to visit each campus, talk to students and look around. That might give you a better feel for one or the other.

My apologies for the loooong post, but I thought I'd try to cover the questions that were raised.;)

Thank you RxQueen. I truly appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate your opinions about NEUOCOP. Every little piece of information helps when deciding where to go.
I have a couple of appointments scheduled with the different schools I am considering, and I will keep you all posted as to how they go.
Thank you once again to everyone for helping me!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Programs always change . I would take in advice from recent graduates and those who are in program. As Programs change over the years and I beleive all are subject to change from the time you decide to enroll, to the time you graduate. The field is i constant change , therefore so may the programs. Always and I mean always check out first hand more than once , once you have narrowed down your schools. All established schools, have to get reaccredited sooner or later.
Toldeo's program has changed since I enrolled, they went throiugh reaccreditation, and I tell you I am glad I was already a P3. The incoming P1's in 2010 have had it bad (class of 2013). The program has been readjusted and they were learning stuff that I had as a 5th (P3)year, and means the profs are not sure what is possible or impossible for them to get. And these were/are sharp 3.8 plus students. This change in some ways makes them better prepared, but on the other hand is like learning to walk or better yet run, before you crawl. I am sure their grades suffered as a gunea pig. The 2014 class and so on should fare better. The other thing Toledo is famous for changing their tuition and fee charges ( fees on top of fees) at a wim. Also they have included another 10-12 credit hours in summer. So buyer beware. This now puts them in the more elite comparison range money wise. Not the bargain anymore. Non-Paid IPPE hours suck. If I had to go to summer semester all 4 years I would not be able to afford it or barely work paid hours. And if you are out of state or foreign student forget about going back home or vacation, what's that. They really don't give a crap about the student's financial well being or their family's. What you thought you were budgeting may get thrown off without almost a warning, or very short notice. And it says that at most institutions, but you figure they wouldn't do drastic things without reprucutions of reputation of being in total disregard. And as far as the new attached COP to the Med Ed at the UT Med Center Hospital building tieing in with the medical students, doctors etc. well I guess you can share the cafeteria with them snobs who are better than you even though probably a higher percentage of us have higher GPA's ( 3.84 undergrad/ some masters) average and could of also been accepted easily to med school. I did but was interested in pharmacy and may go on into fellowship or another phd program, where at least I will get to use the new facilities and labs. Most classes utilize the older nursing classrooms in the old part of the Medical Education Building at the Medical Center. Its just for show and will be paid in part by the current and future students. Well off to working for nothing and accumalating more debt. They say you will make it up when you graduate, but the job market is getting tighter each year since I enrolled and those sign on bonuses and loan repayment incentives just 2-4 years ago, at thing of the past ( unless you were military or govt services, or some far out rural with big pay cut). If you are from a rich or semi-well off middle class family (100K/yr. plus nd no other kids in college), then perhaps your parents can significantly help you along the way. Otherwise, Good Luck.

Program has changed cirriculum/new accreditation. and is harder and disorganized for the ones especially that were the first new class 2013, at least we knew what to expect from our older class. I heard the others thereafter will have it a bit easier but not as much as us ( 2011 and 2012) or you did. COA is 46K now. And have a mandatory summer term they sprang on students. Another 7.5K instate /12K out. New building is 98% useless, the foyer is the 2% useful. We have classes in the old nursing classrooms. There is no collaboration with the Med School or hospital ( at least yet). They finall are starting to get our drugs stocked there. We would of been better off at Wolfe. The only ones who use the new labs are the Grad/phd. & research students/professors not the PharmDs. We are now the ones paying for this. And the debt keeps skyrocketing while the job market tightens. Hopefully you got a bonus and loan repayment option. I really loved UT and really admire and (enjoy a few of my profs, there is at least one that should definitely not be there, I thought they got rid of her) going in and was ready to give back, now I'm not sure, I think the 2013,2014 and maybe the 2015, may have a bad taste in their mouth, I know I would be really pissed even more. I hope you are doing good.

Don't go to NEOUCOP!!!

Don't waste your money and time
They don't have good professors. Some of them don't even speak English:eek:
You will be their Guinea pig, as they change their curriculum every year

UT is a much better school, but not easy to get in

Don't go to NEOUCOP!!!

Don't waste your money and time
They don't have good professors. Some of them don't even speak English:eek:
You will be their Guinea pig, as they change their curriculum every year

UT is a much better school, but not easy to get in

I am med, not pharm at NEOUCOMP, but I can say with 100% certainty that you are way off base here.

I am med, not pharm at NEOUCOMP, but I can say with 100% certainty that you are way off base here.

I am sorry if I hurt your feeling. You might love the med program, but the pharm program is too new.
My friends are going there, cus they couldn't get into UT.
They told me not to go to NEOUCOP.
They are regreting now:p