Nephrology Fellowship Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could please help me with this. I am a 4th year medical student currently applying for Internal Medicine. I plan on applying for Nephro after my residency. When I am ranking programs for the IM match, how important is it to attend a residency program with an in-house Nephrology Fellowship? I am asking b/c I really like one program which is strong and university based, but no Nephro Fellowship.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In-house certainly not required. While all specialties are becoming more competitive, they are still obtainable. In addition, nephrology is not one of the big three (cards, GI, allergy). I would just make sure the program has ongoing research. Also check out the nephrology faculty of the program - their connections are important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah - feel free to message me!

Did u already get into a nephrology
fellowship

Actually, I'm going to be an endocrinology fellow starting July 2008. By three of my good residency friends all obtained awesome nephrology fellowships - and I'm quite familiar with the whole process ^_^

Can u pl tell me the requirements and which places the chances better if we are not from a university program? I applied this year for nephrology.
what are your friends credentials

The program I like does have a lot of research opportunities and strong ties, so that's reassuring. Thanks for your help!

adam6,

If possible can you also please send a PM to me as well for the question that nephro asked.

Am applying to Renal Fellowship next week and was wondering if there is something that would enchance my knowledge base before I apply.

Thanks.