NERB Results are Here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gryffindor

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after much complaining and ranting in the earlier NERB threads, the results are here. Quicker than I expected.

According to the North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners, Inc. I have earned a score of 100 in each of three sections I took on May 4 & 5:
Restorative Exam (amalgam & composite on live patient)
Periodontal Exam (scale & root plane 6 teeth on live patient)
Simulated Patient Clinical Exam (prep & temporize a bridge and do an endo all on the mannequin)

So they think I am competent to apply for a license and practice dentistry unsupervised. And they think I'm real good at it too, considering the scores they gave me. Haha - little do they know!

Anyhow, I'm glad b/c now I can start looking for some side dental/hygiene jobs to earn a little extra cash in NYC for the upcoming year! And I can add to my PASS application & resume that I passed the NERB.

I just took the 4th part of the exam today on the computer at Sylvan, the Dental Simulated Clinical Exam. This exam was to be scheduled on our own time and could be taken after May 5th if the candidate wanted. It wasn't bad, I think I passed this section so once I get these results back, I can officially apply for my full license. I think I'm gonna apply for a license in New York and New Jersey - don't know if I can do both at once.

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! That's fantastic.

~jessica

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats griffin.

wow... griffin!

Good Job!

100, two thumbs up for you. That's impressive score. :thumbup:

I just received my NERB Scores today as well and I am still shocked to the point where I think they may have made a mistake...this is only because I had convinced myself after taking the exam that I failed...a coping mechanism...expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. Anyway, I scored 100's on the restorative and simulated patient treatment exams and a 98 on the perio exam. I will be taking the computer based exam on June 7th...Griffin04...what did you think of the computer exam? Was it like the national boards part II, easier, more difficult, about the same? I almost feel I should study for it now so I don't screw things up...especially since I passed the most difficult areas. I'm starting an ortho residency in a couple weeks, so having a license will be nice so I can possibly moonlight in a private office. My program pays a salary though...and they specifically prohibit moonlighting in our contract. Nevertheless, it's nice to know I don't have to repeat those two miserable days again.

Thanks everyone!

The DSCE tests nowhere near the level of detail the Part II boards. It's stupid, I don't even know how to explain it. Not stupid where you walk in with your eyes closed, but stupid enough where you can probably figure out a lot of the stuff based on memory alone. A lot of the answer choices were plain dumb, or the answer was real obvious and you don't have to read the other answer choices. If you don't care to score a 100 on this section as well (I didn't, 75 = license), then there seems to be a lot of Oral Path questions in the first half of the the exam and a lot of Perio in the case-based section.

Oral Path meaning diagnosing x-rays for stuff like Ameloblastoma & Dentigerous cyst, nothing too crazy on there like AOT or CEOT. Clinical slides of things like rhomboid glossitis or lichen planus - identify and how would you treat?, again nothing too crazy on there like cicatricial pemphigoid or the different types of papilloma or the underlying causes of disease. I would review basics about pre-medication (who needs it, how long they need it for - lifetime or less?, kids). How would you manage an AIDS pt. with hairy leukoplakia (wasn't sure of this one)? Practically no operative (1 question on sealants?), like 1 ortho question (what does this lower appliance do?), don't recall there being oral surgery questions (how do you treat dry socket?). A few things about sickle cell anemia (what does the trabeculae look like?). Difference b/w amelogenesis vs. dentinogenesis imperfecta radiographically. Some dental anomalies like gemination vs. fusion and taurodont. The prostho questions were real basic, easy to figure out. They really seemed to like the immediate dentures, bunch of questions on that. Some stuff on measurements of tooth reduction for PFM.

That's all I can remember. That's the last test I'm gonna have for a while!

congrats Griffin.

"I think I'm gonna apply for a license in New York and New Jersey - don't know if I can do both at once."

You sure can.

Great work , Griffin! :thumbup:

I would like to know...how far ahead of time did you prepare for the NERB? How often is the exam held? How much does the exam cost? Do we still have to get out own patients? Are materials provided?

Thanks! :)

Sweet deal Griffin. Hey, if you practice in New Jersey, think you'd want to hire a fresh Tufts grad in 3 or 4 years? Heh.

Congrats!

My friend at NYU had passed all sections with 100 - but waited until after he graduated to take the computer test and failed. Because of this, he had to take all parts over again. Why was this - is it because you have to pass all sections before a certain date?

That's weird...I remember a couple of people failed the computer part my year and only had to retake the computer part. I think if you failed any section 3 times then you had to take all sections over again. Maybe things have changed.

DrRob said:
My friend at NYU had passed all sections with 100 - but waited until after he graduated to take the computer test and failed. Because of this, he had to take all parts over again. Why was this - is it because you have to pass all sections before a certain date?

I think NERB states that if the candidate doesn't complete all the sections - including the written part within 12 months - the results become void and the candidate must repeat the entire section once the time limit expires. Sad, but true.