Nervous about a low RC score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFIXmyTOOTH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT last week and was initially feeling pretty good about my scores, but after reading this board I am somewhat nervous. I have always been much better at math/visual sections of standardized test and struggled in RC. My first choice is UMDNJ, I am a NJ resident. Do you think I should retake?

QR-21
PAT-21
BIO-20
GCHEM-24
OCHEM-20
RC-17. This is what I am worried about.
AA-20

GPA-3.7
sGPA-3.6
BCP GPA-3.5
Top 50 University

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that most schools consider "16" to be the bare minimum. Although your RC score isn't impressive, I think your other scores make up for it.

Just be ready to defend yourself if they ask about it in interviews. Don't get too worked up about it. Even though RC is relatively important, you seem like you're in good shape despite it.

Now you got ME worried lol.

I retook my DAT and got a 17 on both tries so I don't think I can make it any better. I just can't improve it in this limited amount of time. (I believe that only practice can improve this skill, no short cuts around it)

Hopefully it won't affect both of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I hope adcoms are going to overlook my 18 RC for my 22B/23G/28O/22AA/23TS. I know case western is one school that really cares about RC, so I've pretty much given up all hope of even being invited to interview (I've heard amazing things about the school though).

Yeah I don't understand why schools put so much weight on the RC score. If you scored 20 + on all the sciences, and have a 3.5+ gpa you can obviously read a comprehend information. When I read science type information I take detailed notes. It baffles my mind that some schools like case have a 19 cutoff for RC. So let me get this straight case would take a 20 AA with a 20 in RC over someone who has a 23 AA and an 18 in RC? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah I don't understand why schools put so much weight on the RC score. If you scored 20 + on all the sciences, and have a 3.5+ gpa you can obviously read a comprehend information. When I read science type information I take detailed notes. It baffles my mind that some schools like case have a 19 cutoff for RC. So let me get this straight case would take a 20 AA with a 20 in RC over someone who has a 23 AA and an 18 in RC? Doesn't make sense to me.
High RC has a strong correlation with NBDE passing.

I don't think they would take a 20 AA/ 20 RC over the latter...
But, I think that they put emphasis on reading because it represents other skills.
My boyfriend got destroyed on his MCAT verbal section, which is similar to our RC section. He has relatively poor communication skills and isn't a fast reader, which is the cause of this. I think that they look at the RC score in this way - if you can't read an easy passage and answer a few simple questions about it...how can you read a Pharm. textbook and gain anything from it? or communicate difficult procedures to your patients in a clear way?

This is just my guess. Nonetheless, I would trade my 25 in RC for a 25 TS ANY DAY. ;)

Sorry... don't mean to be a stickler but logic doesn't add up here because if you can obviously read and comprehend information, you would've scored higher on the reading and comprehension portion of the exam.

Yes, what double bonded said issss true lol...

And no, you do not need to retake. Your score is acceptable while your other sections should make you a strong candidate nonetheless. :xf:

Sorry... don't mean to be a stickler but logic doesn't add up here because if you can obviously read and comprehend information, you would've scored higher on the reading and comprehension portion of the exam.

On the surface, it looks like what you've said is true. However, if you really need to comprehend something DEEPLY, it takes time. I think everybody here can read (duh)...but how fast do people read and understand the stuff differs. I'm not a fast reader, but when I spend some time, I'm sure I can understand everything 100%. Now one might argue that how can you survive dental school if you need to spend so much time reading? Well, practice sharpens your skills. And I think people like me will eventually keep up with piles of reading if given some time....at least that's how I see it...we'll see.

Haha, I know. Trust me, my other scores are average...along with my GPA. I'm barely a threat. :p
That's just not true. Your AA and TS are each something like 90-95 percentile? And your GPA is almost the same as the average accepted student. You're a strong applicant for sure.

You are still a strong applicant in my opinion. If you are really worried, search this forum for Doc Toothache's spreadsheet of how every school values each section of the DAT. Some dental schools "highly value" (or something like that) the RC score. Some don't. My advice would be to just double check your list of schools and make sure none are picky about the RC score, which in your case is borderline.

Another alternative would be to call schools and ask their admission counselors. They may be able to give you a frank assessment!