Nervous about applying to POD school this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDPM88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not do nearly as well as I had hoped on the MCAT and the next available test date in my state is May 11. Is it worth studying for now and applying extremely late in the cycle?

-I have shadowed 2 podiatrists, surgeon, two dentists(if that helps)
-around 3.0GPA, slightly lower science, and much higher non-science.
-extremely involved, work with the Dean of my college, involved in several clubs, and also a peer health educator.
-cardiovascular, muscular, and exercise physiology-3 years(in the process of getting published)
-community service, days of service, had an on-campus job the last 3 years of school..

A lot more....but I am quite nervous, and need some help, PLEASE!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. I've seen many people on here with your G.P.A , and a lot of people said he or she would be accepted. If you aren't confident, just wait next cycle or do a post-bac. But l doubt you would have to do that, since many on here haven't did that nor have I heard of pre-podiatry students doing it.

there are actually a few on here that did a post-bac.

I dont know your mcat score but i am guessing 20<. You probably have a chance at the podiatry schools with large classes. If you don't want to waste money, have a guaranteed acceptance, and more scholarship money. Then study harder for the MCAT, get a better score and apply next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not do nearly as well as I had hoped on the MCAT and the next available test date in my state is May 11. Is it worth studying for now and applying extremely late in the cycle?

-extremely involved, work with the Dean of my college, involved in several clubs, and also a peer health educator.
-cardiovascular, muscular, and exercise physiology-3 years(in the process of getting published)
-community service, days of service, had an on-campus job the last 3 years of school..

I believe that if you have applied early, you would have gotten in with your stat. However, if you take your MCAT in may, and schools won't receive your score until June or July, you will be competing with med or dental (for temple & nycpm) applicants who unfortunately did not get in to the school of their choice. So it might be a bit difficult at that point, but who knows. Other thing you can do is you can submit your application in asap and then call the schools you are interested in (as mentioned above, i suggest big schools like temple, nycpm, and kent) and tell them you are taking the mcat in may.

you should just call the schools and ask. many of them are willing to help out. good luck

Yeah... don't take the May MCAT. Someone in another thread suggested flying to another state to take the MCAT earlier. While this is less than ideal, it would be more favorable than taking it in May. If you take it in May, you will probably just be throwing money away to AACPMAS because you'll have to pay them again for your application next fall.

Also, dont start studying for a May MCAT date. It's not even December yet. You'll just be wasting your time. You won't retain any of the info.

If I were you, I'd either apply next cycle, or travel to a different state and take a January date.

I am in a similar position as you! I got a low MCAT score and was planning to retake the MCAT in January until I found that all the tests for CA are gone!! So then i decided to go to another state, but I finally realized that doing all that is too financially straining for me. Right now I am working on my application and just going ahead to apply with my low MCAT score, as well as my GPA and hope that the rest of my application can pull me through! Although this is a fairly risky route for me to take, I would like to start Pod school next year. Hope everything works out for you! PM if you want more info

Yeah... don't take the May MCAT. Someone in another thread suggested flying to another state to take the MCAT earlier. While this is less than ideal, it would be more favorable than taking it in May. If you take it in May, you will probably just be throwing money away to AACPMAS because you'll have to pay them again for your application next fall.

Also, dont start studying for a May MCAT date. It's not even December yet. You'll just be wasting your time. You won't retain any of the info.

If I were you, I'd either apply next cycle, or travel to a different state and take a January date.

:thumbup:

Relax. I've seen many people on here with your G.P.A , and a lot of people said he or she would be accepted. If you aren't confident, just wait next cycle or do a post-bac. But l doubt you would have to do that, since many on here haven't did that nor have I heard of pre-podiatry students doing it.

I completed a post bacc last year and was accepted to kent last week. I would strongly recommend doing one to the OP or any other interested student. Not only will it look great on your pod application, but it will truly help you prepare for school itself by exposing you to material you'll see in you first year of school, but also help with fine tuning study skills neccesary for med school. Feel free to PM me if you like, and if you decide to apply this year, good luck!

I would apply this year, and not retake the MCAT. I would get my application in ASAP and go from there. May is too long to wait, and by that time it will be a lot more competitive to get in because most spots will already be taken. Go for it, you will get in somewhere.

I would apply this year, and not retake the MCAT. I would get my application in ASAP and go from there. May is too long to wait, and by that time it will be a lot more competitive to get in because most spots will already be taken. Go for it, you will get in somewhere.

How can you give a blind suggestion like this? The OP hasn't posted their MCAT score. If the score was in the range of 18-19 combined with a subpar 3 science GPA i wouldn't advise anyone to apply at this point of the cycle. However if the score was 21+ go ahead and apply broadly, you have a decent chance of getting in somewhere.

If your MCAT is on the really low side the suggestion of traveling to another state to retake is a good idea. Sure it may be expensive, but this is your future, you will need to make many investments along the way to ensure a bright one.

How can you give a blind suggestion like this? The OP hasn't posted their MCAT score. If the score was in the range of 18-19 combined with a subpar 3 science GPA i wouldn't advise anyone to apply at this point of the cycle. However if the score was 21+ go ahead and apply broadly, you have a decent chance of getting in somewhere.

If your MCAT is on the really low side the suggestion of traveling to another state to retake is a good idea. Sure it may be expensive, but this is your future, you will need to make many investments along the way to ensure a bright one.

I would still apply my friend...even if he had a 19 or 20 on the MCAT. Who knows, maybe they give him a conditional acceptance and he has to take it over or maybe he gets in. But I would do it so you don't have to wait till May (and possible not get in and wait a whole year).

and his other stats are pretty solid...I would apply and I would especially apply to schools with large class sizes.

To the OP, I live in Chicago but took the MCAT in detroit as I took it in March and probably a lot of people on spring break taking it. Look into other states, it might not be that long of a drive or fly out if you can afford it. Honestly you have good stats and background. I beleive the average accepted among the 9 is a 21, so while I do not know the STDEV of the scores I am sure people get in with 18-19.
My advice, call the schools admissions office and talk with them and see what they say, you might still be fine. What are your practice test scores, do not give the AAMC another 200 or what ever it is now to only repeat your score. The sun will still rise in the east tomorrow morning and the next if you chose to wait to the 2014 cycle to solidify your mcat.

I took my MCAT in AZ and I live in Las Vegas....I took it last May (end of the month)...by the time I got my scores back it was too late in the process and I couldn't get my app in for last years cycle and had to wait a year which I was fine to do because I wanted to still take microbiology/bio chem. But if you have a shot to get in a year earlier than I say take it-move on with your career.

Take a shot meaning either apply now or take mcat in a diff state so you can apply earlier than May/June.