Nervous and feel discouraged.

Started by Dragon416
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dragon416

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to 22 schools. Yet, I have been wait listed so far at two schools. (NSU hybrid and USA Flex). I have interviewed recently at Loma Linda and did extremely well in my interview and also at Murphy Deming which I did exceptionally well in my interview, and waiting to hear back from d'youville which does not interview. I have mixed feelings about my situation and everything seems so blurry at the moment. My Cgpa is a 3.55 and pre req gpa is a 3.7. My gre is low. So far my top school is Loma Linda. But Murphy Deming caught my eye as well, the only problem is that they only accept 35 students so I am not sure how I will stack against others.
 
Well, how low is your GRE? If the total GRE score is too low, or the verbal section is too low, OR the writing score is too low, OR a combination of the three, then it may have automatically barred you admission to certain programs.
 
3.5 cgpa and 3.7 pre-req are really competitive. I believe most schools weigh GPA much higher than GRE, unless it's a really competitive program. You should def get into some schools, since you applied to 20+. Your stats are really similar to mine, and I've gotten accepted into one school already so i'm confident you will too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.5 cgpa and 3.7 pre-req are really competitive. I believe most schools weigh GPA much higher than GRE, unless it's a really competitive program. You should def get into some schools, since you applied to 20+. Your stats are really similar to mine, and I've gotten accepted into one school already so i'm confident you will too

Thanks! I feel I have a really good chance in Loma Linda since they do not require the gre.
 
There's your problem my friend. You know that already. What's the breakdown for V/Q/W?

140 qa 142 very 3.0 w.i know really low. But they wouldn't give me my accommodations unless I spent a substantial amount of money on a doctor. So I am not sure.
 
Okay, I'm going to be one hundred percent real with you here and this may sound a little harsh. The GRE is a standardized test that is formatted in a similar fashion to the NPTE in the sense that they are both long computerized tests that require an ample amount of stamina. By no means am i saying that there's a direct correlation between the two exams, but if you can't at least put the work in to get to a 300 combined score with a 3.5 or 4.0 AW then you likely will struggle along the way if admitted to a DPT program. Now, I'm well aware that many people will disagree with me on this, but I've seen it first hand in my journey so far. I'm not saying you can't become a great PT. I'm saying you need to find a way. Buckle down, put in the work and do a million practice tests until you're consistently scoring in that range. That's what it takes. There are NO SHORTCUTS, no excuses, and certainly no "I'm not good at standardized tests..." You won't get any sympathy from this group, sorry! Yes there are certainly some exceptions to this rule in that some schools except lower numbers, and some applicants slip through the cracks, but most ended up weeded out eventually. This test is there for a reason. Are we battling for one that's more predictive of success in "physical therapy" school? ABSOLUTELY! But for now, this is your next obstacle. Get. It. Done.
 
PS.... You need 8 little points! And half a point (or a whole point if you really want a solid shot) on your AW. You got this! 😀
 
Thank you jdaniels360 for your words of intelligence and advisment. I dully aware what my weakness is amd I have to improve it immediately.
 
I think your GPA proves that you are more than qualified to go to PT school. I have a low GRE as well and I know for that it is really hurting me in the application process. I have taken it twice and I should not have taken it the second time without studying more, but I did. I have a 293. 146Q 147V and 4AW. I want to retake it but honestly I'm afraid to because what happens if my scores don't significantly improve. Do any of you have tips on properly preparing for the GRE? I know that taking it twice without really studying was an immature decision on my part.
 
I will also throw in my two cents. I was interested in med a bit before as well before I switched to pt for the longer patient time and work/life balance. Unfortunately, regardless of how compassionate you are or how much you love the field, the test score will determine interviews. Sorry. The gre actually is a pretty bad indicator of resiliency and good patient and mentor outcomes throughout a pt program, but unfortunately it is one of the only things that they can use. I highly suggest investing in some magoosh gre material. That was all I used to familiarize myself with the material and I ended up with a 319 on my first and only shot.
 
Okay, I'm going to be one hundred percent real with you here and this may sound a little harsh. The GRE is a standardized test that is formatted in a similar fashion to the NPTE in the sense that they are both long computerized tests that require an ample amount of stamina. By no means am i saying that there's a direct correlation between the two exams, but if you can't at least put the work in to get to a 300 combined score with a 3.5 or 4.0 AW then you likely will struggle along the way if admitted to a DPT program. Now, I'm well aware that many people will disagree with me on this, but I've seen it first hand in my journey so far. I'm not saying you can't become a great PT. I'm saying you need to find a way. Buckle down, put in the work and do a million practice tests until you're consistently scoring in that range. That's what it takes. There are NO SHORTCUTS, no excuses, and certainly no "I'm not good at standardized tests..." You won't get any sympathy from this group, sorry! Yes there are certainly some exceptions to this rule in that some schools except lower numbers, and some applicants slip through the cracks, but most ended up weeded out eventually. This test is there for a reason. Are we battling for one that's more predictive of success in "physical therapy" school? ABSOLUTELY! But for now, this is your next obstacle. Get. It. Done.

Excellent post, couldn't agree more.


By no means am i saying that there's a direct correlation between the two exams...

IIRC, research shows at least a moderately strong correlation between GRE scores and chances of failing the NPTE. Not a reliable enough connection to bet the house on, but a statistically significant correlation nonetheless. There have been some threads that talked about this in the past, I believe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to 22 schools. Yet, I have been wait listed so far at two schools. (NSU hybrid and USA Flex). I have interviewed recently at Loma Linda and did extremely well in my interview and also at Murphy Deming which I did exceptionally well in my interview, and waiting to hear back from d'youville which does not interview. I have mixed feelings about my situation and everything seems so blurry at the moment. My Cgpa is a 3.55 and pre req gpa is a 3.7. My gre is low. So far my top school is Loma Linda. But Murphy Deming caught my eye as well, the only problem is that they only accept 35 students so I am not sure how I will stack against others.

I think I remember from your previous posts that you are eligible for accommodations for standardized testing, but your medical documentation was out of date. I don't know what your financial/insurance situation is, but if worse comes to worse and you are not accepted into a program, it may be best to get started with the process to get your medical information updated. (I don't know how complicated the process is, nor how much documentation ETS needs). You can weigh the cost of applying to 22 schools with maybe no return, vs the cost of the medical stuff + the GRE itself, and it may even out (I honestly don't know). If you had a higher GRE, coupled with your GPA, you would likely not need to apply to 22 schools on round 2, which would certainly be less stressful!

With all of this said, the application cycle isn't over yet!! You haven't heard back from all of your schools, and it seems like many students get accepted off the wait list. It's not all over by any means 🙂
 
I think I remember from your previous posts that you are eligible for accommodations for standardized testing, but your medical documentation was out of date. I don't know what your financial/insurance situation is, but if worse comes to worse and you are not accepted into a program, it may be best to get started with the process to get your medical information updated. (I don't know how complicated the process is, nor how much documentation ETS needs). You can weigh the cost of applying to 22 schools with maybe no return, vs the cost of the medical stuff + the GRE itself, and it may even out (I honestly don't know). If you had a higher GRE, coupled with your GPA, you would likely not need to apply to 22 schools on round 2, which would certainly be less stressful!

With all of this said, the application cycle isn't over yet!! You haven't heard back from all of your schools, and it seems like many students get accepted off the wait list. It's not all over by any means 🙂

Thank you for your words of of encouragement!