Nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any dental students get nervous when they had to perform on a live human for the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

my first contact with a live human happened to be during prosthetic clinic.
it was a mess literally,the patient got panic and he gagged a littile bit.
yes i was sort of nervous,but you will get accustomed with time.
dont worry just try chatting with the patient before performing the procedure,it helps alot.

After couple time spending with the patient you will get use to it. Moving from manikin to live patient can be very nervous . You will also feel the same when come to your first oral surgery rotation. Don't worry the nervousness will soon end and when you graduated you will look back and laugh about it.. I will not surprise if you starting giving advice to sophomore class later .... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cozmosis said:
I'm gonna bookmark this thread cause I'm really interested in hearing all the replies. I imagine I'd be REALLY nervous.

I don't know about the schools you guys will be attending, but at mine, the first patients you treat are fellow dental students, starting with practicing LA injections on each other, then moving onto prophies and cleanings, and finally at the start of comp care clinic, amalgams and resins on fellow students who need (and want) them.

Working on each other is a great confidence builder and eases the transition to treating patients.

UBTom said:
I don't know about the schools you guys will be attending, but at mine, the first patients you treat are fellow dental students, starting with practicing LA injections on each other, then moving onto prophies and cleanings, and finally at the start of comp care clinic, amalgams and resins on fellow students who need (and want) them.

Working on each other is a great confidence builder and eases the transition to treating patients.
exactly.you wont feel embarraced when your friend saw you shaking. :)

I remember my first patient.

I'm surprised I didn't need to change my boxers afterwards. Hehehe.

They had *just* opened the clinic to us, when one of the seniors asked me if I could see his patient the following tuesday (it was thursday when he asked me). I hesitated and was kind of put on the spot as he had a conflict. So I caved and saw the patient. And I was suddenly dumped into the world of prostho without so much as a pat on the back.

The patient's crown had popped off along with the post. So I spent an hour trying to figure out why.. So we replaced it with tempbond and took some impressions (not in that order, heheh). After a prosth instructor took a look, we discovered this hidden cache of decay on lingual aspect of the crown prep (beneath the crown) and took a radiograph.

Patient decided that it wasn't worth the effort to go through crown-lengthening surgery and so we decided to extract and add a tooth to his partial.

Yeah.. I hadn't even done an initial visit yet and I got this dumped on my lap. Elementary if you've already been working with patients for a few months, but when it's your first time.. gah.

:)

UBTom said:

I dunno tom, I dont care if its someone I know. Sticking a needle in someone's jaw for the first time will be a little nerve racking regarless if the person is someone I know. :eek:

I'm not nervous about doing it to someone, but having a fellow student do it to ME (injections). I'm terribly afraid of needles. I believe that will be the day I dread the most... I honestly can't stand needles.... esp in the mouth. I don't know it probably sounds silly but it is so true. Will they not do it on you if you ask? or do the students have to be injected by their peers no matter what?

It wouldn't be very fair of us to expect our patients to let us jab them if we weren't willing to go through it at least once, now would it? ;)

Dentaldream said:
I dunno tom, I dont care if its someone I know. Sticking a needle in someone's jaw for the first time will be a little nerve racking regarless if the person is someone I know. :eek:

Well yeah, but at least if it's a person you know, he/she will be more likely to forgive you if you screwed up than a patient who is a virtual stranger. :D

That's why it's a nice confidence-builder!

Sk8aBull said:
I'm not nervous about doing it to someone, but having a fellow student do it to ME (injections). I'm terribly afraid of needles. I believe that will be the day I dread the most... I honestly can't stand needles.... esp in the mouth. I don't know it probably sounds silly but it is so true. Will they not do it on you if you ask? or do the students have to be injected by their peers no matter what?

It's part of the experience of becoming a dentist... And it helps you relate to a patient who is also petrified of needles so you can explain to them *why* injecting LA in the mouth feels different than other *painful* shots like immunization IM injections! You won't know until you experienced it. :D

busupshot83 said:
Any dental students get nervous when they had to perform on a live human for the first time?

I'm REALLY excited for this experience, but I can already forsee that my hands will be all over the place, and that's just when I'm putting on the dam!

It'll be a memorable experience, that's for sure!

My first patient was a modbl amalgam, I put 2 maxpins in with a couple of amalgapins. That was a horrible experience, but It helped. I didn't get nervous though, just impatient, its sad how long it takes a teacher to check the steps off. That was the hardest thing that I have done as of this day!!!!

C132

tensed.....................any other word...........................well i had to make a class -1 cavity...........and only thing running in my mind was......pulp exposure.......marginal ridge fracture.............i did well but.............. begginers luck i guess(the alchemist)

Hi meetlife,
How r u?. Not to be seen now a days and anyway how is ur prep going on. I think u must be studying hard. i pity of ur patients. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All the best and have a nice day

indiandentist

i think you should take your time,long procedure is better than a traumatic one.

UBTom said:
It's part of the experience of becoming a dentist... And it helps you relate to a patient who is also petrified of needles so you can explain to them *why* injecting LA in the mouth feels different than other *painful* shots like immunization IM injections! You won't know until you experienced it. :D

oh, trust me... i've experienced it... a bit more than I would have liked...

indiandentist said:
Hi meetlife,
How r u?. Not to be seen now a days and anyway how is ur prep going on. I think u must be studying hard. i pity of ur patients. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All the best and have a nice day

indiandentist
hi sir........................i am doing fine.............................................well no need to pity my patients........they are in safe hands................................in any case i have an emergency expert like u................................................. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: