Neuro Critical Care Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucfuz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Internal Medicine trained physicians that have completed a Neuro Critical Care Fellowship? Does completing a NCC fellowship limit you to working in an institution with a Neuro ICU, or would you gain enough exposure to be able to work in a Med/Surg ICU as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Variable training, but typically neuro ICU training only leaves you suitable for Neuro ICU. Not enough cardio/gen surg training for other units. Knew a guy who was IM/CCM/Neuro. He did it all

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of any Internal Medicine trained physicians that have completed a Neuro Critical Care Fellowship? Does completing a NCC fellowship limit you to working in an institution with a Neuro ICU, or would you gain enough exposure to be able to work in a Med/Surg ICU as well?

Most academic institutions will prefer an anesthesiologist or a surgeon to cover the Neruo ICU. There is a small (but growing?) that employ neurology critical care docs. I would be surprised to see an Pulm/Crit to cover but I suppose it's possible. I haven't seen it myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are not enough Neuro-CCM trained docs to make generalizations.

There are certainly not enough IM-NeuroCCM docs to make generalizations.

In my experience: Neurologists who try to become CCM generalists are inadequate. EM and IM docs who complete neuro CCM fellowships can are not prepared to handle general CCM.

HH

Thanks for the responses. Would completing a two year Neuro-CC fellowship allow you to apply for a one year IM-CC fellowship to get that additional MICU experience? I have seen some Neuro-CC programs with up to 5 months of elective time, which could potentially lead to 7 months of MICU rotations with the required 2 months of MICU for a two year NCC fellowship.