archimedesxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So I am studying for Step 1 and I am interested in what others have experienced with Neuroanatomy on their exams. I know the pathways, CT/MRI scans are HY but reading HY neuroanatomy is just plain disturbing:eek:Many random nuclei and pathways, GVS,GVA,GVS, etc are just making me go insane. I can reason out lesions but memorizing all these other random information is just killing me. Should I focus on the major tracts, be able to identify lesions, be able to point out the names of specific parts of the brain on CT/MRI and call it a day. What else should I focus on? Please let me know. Thank you.

Phloston

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2012
Osaka, Japan
So I am studying for Step 1 and I am interested in what others have experienced with Neuroanatomy on their exams. I know the pathways, CT/MRI scans are HY but reading HY neuroanatomy is just plain disturbing:eek:Many random nuclei and pathways, GVS,GVA,GVS, etc are just making me go insane. I can reason out lesions but memorizing all these other random information is just killing me. Should I focus on the major tracts, be able to identify lesions, be able to point out the names of specific parts of the brain on CT/MRI and call it a day. What else should I focus on? Please let me know. Thank you.
Look at the Kaplan anatomy lecture notes neuro sections. They'll show you what you need to know.

DocDO2B

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Look at the Kaplan anatomy lecture notes neuro sections. They'll show you what you need to know.
how many pages is the neuro section in the kaplan anatomy notes? I might go this route if its not too long.

withrye

7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
Status
Once you understand the major tracts in the spinal cord and major areas in the brain, I find the best tactic for the brainstem are the Rules of 4. A quick google will help you out, and it does a lot to make the brainstem less insane.

docphd

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks! I googled rules of 4 and this really made it very simple :)