Neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a good way to remember all the tracts in neuroanatomy? Where they decussate, location of nuclei, etc. . .

Members don't see this ad.

Learn one of them at a time. We have slide sets showing different levels in the spinal cord and brainstem & my study partner and I went through each tract finding it at each level. Once we had one down, we'd move on to another. After you get a few down, you can start looking at the relationships between them at each level.

I found that the combo of the BRS Neuro (Fix) and Haines Atlas for p'ways worked well, and Netter's for the nuclei.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Iron Horse
I found that the combo of the BRS Neuro (Fix) and Haines Atlas for p'ways worked well, and Netter's for the nuclei.

I haven't used Netter for this class, but I regularly use the BRS Neuro & Haines atlas.

Ironically, I'm trying to study neuro while posting here tonight. :rolleyes:

I've actually already taken neuroanatomy, but it was a year ago. I have an up coming exam and I need re-learn all the pathways, spinal cord nuclei, and other neuroscience stuff. I was looking for some sort of mnemonic. Like a one sentence deal that would cover everything that could possibly be involved with the brain. ;-) But I was thinking Dr. Mom's advice may work too. Just take it one pathway at a time.. but kind of speedily. :)

Originally posted by DrMom
I haven't used Netter for this class, but I regularly use the BRS Neuro & Haines atlas.

Ironically, I'm trying to study neuro while posting here tonight. :rolleyes:

There are only two or three pages in Netter's, but they do nicely for a depiction of the nuclei. I just found the perspective helpful for that specific purpose (nuclei).

unfortunately, there isnt' a magical neuro pill. however, if there was, i think we'd all be neurosurgeons. my advice: group them.

put all the sensory/afferent pathways and compare and contrast them. example: dorsal column and spinothalamic.

then put all the efferent and do the same. then you'll start to subgroup them within their own division. such as, which is responsible for tone, antigravity, etc.

there is no easy way. hope this helps though.

get ur text...read it, read it gain, read it again, continue reading it....read it untill u even know how many "commas" are in each paragraph :D

Megalofyia:

Make a simple diagram of each pathway noting the major landmarks such as any decussations, nuclei, synapse points, etc. I find drawing (or attempting to draw) the diagram of the pathway repeatedly from memory helps me to learn the pathway. I guess it also depends on what works for you.