Neuroanesthesia Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharleyVCU1988

Are we having fun yet?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, my CA-1 Neuroanesthesia rotation is coming up in October, were there any specific neuroanesthesia textbooks anyone used for the rotation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree that reading the chapter in Barash or Miller are enough, but if you really want to go gunner, then Cottrell would be the gold standard for neuroanesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Propofol, remi, phenylephrine.

Congratulations, you are a neuroanesthesiologist!

You can send me $300 via PayPal if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need either a textbook or a fellowship for neuroanesthesia. 90+% is ortho with an a-line (actually the ortho patients tend to be older and sicker).

The fact that you are doing it as a CA-1 speaks volumes.

I'm doing it now and they are having us read Cottrell 's Handbook of Neuroanesthesia, which is very digestible.
Most of the chapters can be managed in one night.

The neuro chapters in Morgan and mikhail provide a good introduction

Farag has two great neuroanesthesia books case based neuroanesthesia 1 and 2. Teaches all of neuroanesthesia with clinical correlates.

Agree with everything said above, +/- Mannitol, depending on the case. IMHO, the biggest pain in the arse with the crani room is turning over and moving everything to the other side of the room when the surgeon changes sides.

I would use more basic books like "The Anesthesia Guide" by Mcgraw hill. Excellent resource for neuranesthesia for residents: goes over how to setup the room, what intraop events to watch out for, basic physiology, and PACU issues. Start there and then go to the textbooks.