mikeshana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
anyone have any info on competiveness, salaries, job oppurtunities, future of the field, research,etc?

thanks

mike

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
mikeshana said:
anyone have any info on competiveness, salaries, job oppurtunities, future of the field, research,etc?

thanks

mike
Check out SNACC ( society for neuroanestehsia nd critical care) for information
Job listing is empty now
If you want to practice pure neuro than have to go to academic place and a big one
In private practice everyone does neuro
Fellowships are few but avaialbe becuase very few applicants for them.
Research wide open as brain may be next great frontier in medical world. We understand alot more about heart than we do the brain- c
check out journal of neurosurgical anesthesia

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Huge decrease in neuroanesthesia cases, at least in private practice, with a lot more interventional radiology procedures that often don't require anesthesia. I can't remember the last intracranial aneurysm clipping I've done - used to be at least once a week, now on the order of once or twice a year.

About the Ads

GasPundit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
Come to UF. We do neurosurgery like McDonalds does French Fries.

We also have some fantastic neuroanesthesiologists. One such is our PD. Also offer lots of opportunities to learn about neuromonitoring.

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
If you want to do aneurysm clippings, AVM excisions, or any other intracranial vascular procedure, you have to look at UTSW. Duke Samsom is the godfather of intracranial vascular neurosurgery and our neuroanesthesia service takes military residents to help them get their residency requirements as there is more than enough to go around.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
UTSouthwestern said:
If you want to do aneurysm clippings, AVM excisions, or any other intracranial vascular procedure, you have to look at UTSW. Duke Samsom is the godfather of intracranial vascular neurosurgery and our neuroanesthesia service takes military residents to help them get their residency requirements as there is more than enough to go around.
From a practical standpoint,

there is no need to do a neurosurgical anesthesia fellowship.

beezar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2002
Visit site
Status
Am i missing something? Neuroanesthesia is just not complicated or difficult... just a few extra things over a regular anesthetic.

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
beezar said:
Am i missing something? Neuroanesthesia is just not complicated or difficult... just a few extra things over a regular anesthetic.
From a practical point of view- NO- unless you are interested in academics or research.

Many private neurosurgery practices concentrate on spine surgery- that is where the money is.

Also for cranies there truly is not alot we can do pracitically really to affect outcomes, now that hypothermia has fallen out of vogue,

And I DO NEURO

davvid2700

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2005
Status
adleyinga said:
From a practical point of view- NO- unless you are interested in academics or research.

Many private neurosurgery practices concentrate on spine surgery- that is where the money is.

Also for cranies there truly is not alot we can do pracitically really to affect outcomes, now that hypothermia has fallen out of vogue,

And I DO NEURO
mannitol, lasix, head up, csf drainage, ummm...... control the pressure, steroids for tumors, controlled hypotension for a clipping If they are not using temporary clips, invasive montiroing.. what else do you wanna do?

About the Ads