neurohospitalist program at UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snakesonaplane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard too much of it, but just wondering if anyone knows how many fellows they take, number of applicants etc?

Is a fellowship in this field recommended if one were to pursue a career in such a field?

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. Why would you even need to do a fellowship in neurohospitalist? General residency seems like it would prepare you.

Interesting. Why would you even need to do a fellowship in neurohospitalist? General residency seems like it would prepare you.

There are some neurohospitalist or general neuro fellowships around the country that could help you train for this. Some neurointensivists end up doing this work if the ICU lifestyle doesn't suit them.

Certainly not all residencies would provide adequate preparation for a neurohospitalist career. Some of the sleepier neuro programs don't admit patients at the pace and acuity level that is expected of a professional hospitalist.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one was wanting to be a neurohospitalist couldn't one just use PGY3/4 elective time to help prepare with electives that would be useful for inpatient neuro?

If one was wanting to be a neurohospitalist couldn't one just use PGY3/4 elective time to help prepare with electives that would be useful for inpatient neuro?

You could, but remember that you would be competing for jobs with other people who may have done dedicated fellowships. It really comes down to what people believe and what makes them feel comfortable with you as a hire. One of my colleagues got hired at one of our home institutions as essentially a hospitalist without any additional training, but that was because they knew him and what he was capable of doing.

I would assume the vast majority of admits would be stroke/TIA, then followed by SZ, AMS and syncopal episodes. Wouldn't a stroke fellowship be better suited for a neurohospitalist? Or is this speciality eventually going the way of board certification?

I would assume the vast majority of admits would be stroke/TIA, then followed by SZ, AMS and syncopal episodes. Wouldn't a stroke fellowship be better suited for a neurohospitalist? Or is this speciality eventually going the way of board certification?

Not sure about certification, but I do know a bunch of people with stroke training who went this route. Very marketable.