Neurology after other specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is is possible/probable to do neurology after doing another specialty? I am EM but I'm not sure I want to do EM forever. I liked Neuro but went for EM for 1) Excitment 2) Cash.

How do PDs feel about prevously trained applicants? Know any neurologists who have trained in other specialities.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the neuro residents at my home institution finished an IM residency previously and will be dual-boarded once he finishes. It's definitely possible, but it also depends on if you're willing to be a resident for that long.

One of our attendings did a PM&R residency after practicing as a Neurologist for over fifteen years. Currently, you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot in Neurology unless you are looking for a position in one of the top programs (Columbia, Partners, UCSF, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a guy where I'm at that is doing neurology after having been in practice for 4 years as EM. He says he got tired of not thinking. Ironically, he told me, to do it all over again, from day one, he would have done anesthesia. Go figure.

Several of the residents at my program are board certified internists. One of the residents who graduated recently did several years of ENT prior to becoming a neuro resident.

Ironically, he told me, to do it all over again, from day one, he would have done anesthesia. Go figure.

Ironically, I am going into anesthesia.