• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
Is is possible/probable to do neurology after doing another specialty? I am EM but I'm not sure I want to do EM forever. I liked Neuro but went for EM for 1) Excitment 2) Cash.

How do PDs feel about prevously trained applicants? Know any neurologists who have trained in other specialities.

Skrubz

Not your scut monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Status (Visible)
One of the neuro residents at my home institution finished an IM residency previously and will be dual-boarded once he finishes. It's definitely possible, but it also depends on if you're willing to be a resident for that long.

Stinky Tofu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2000
deependdining.blogspot.com
One of our attendings did a PM&R residency after practicing as a Neurologist for over fifteen years. Currently, you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot in Neurology unless you are looking for a position in one of the top programs (Columbia, Partners, UCSF, etc.).

About the Ads

Pinky

and the Brain
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2001
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
Several of the residents at my program are board certified internists. One of the residents who graduated recently did several years of ENT prior to becoming a neuro resident.

Ironically, he told me, to do it all over again, from day one, he would have done anesthesia. Go figure.

Ironically, I am going into anesthesia.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.