Neurology and happiness (is it really that low?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90sportsfan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking online and even some old threads on this site from several years back, it seems like Neurology is ranked as the least happy specialty (last) on almost all of them.

Ordinarily I would ignore it, but the fact that it comes up as the least happy in so many of them across the years is a little disheartening.

Is this really true from what you have experienced or colleagues? In my interactions with physicians, it seems like subjectively IM (PCP) seem to be the most stressed and least happy. I have not heard much about Neurologists being unhappy in real life, although my interactions have been somewhat limited.

I am a MS3 and am having a hard time deciding what I want to specialize in. I haven’t done my Neurology rotation yet but I am initially pretty interested. I have been really interested in Radiology too, but am worried that it seems like Radiology is very high risk for malpractice (almost all get sued at some point in their career). I’m not sure about walking into that.

Is Neurology high risk for malpractice? I know Neurosurgery is, but Neurology doesn’t usually show up in the list of high risk.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't put much weight in what other people feel about the speciality. If you end up liking it...you'll probably be happy with it.