Neurology fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I_love_UMKC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to look into Neurology and I have been trying to find all the possible Neurology fellowship options and how many years are the fellowships. Does anyone have a link, which shares the Neurology fellowships, and how long do they take? I know there are several options, such as NIR, Vascular, Neuro-ophth, but I don't know how long the fellowships are and what other options are there?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been trying to look into Neurology and I have been trying to find all the possible Neurology fellowship options and how many years are the fellowships. Does anyone have a link, which shares the Neurology fellowships, and how long do they take? I know there are several options, such as NIR, Vascular, Neuro-ophth, but I don't know how long the fellowships are and what other options are there?

It's more than "several". In fact, next to int med, I think neurology offers the most varied fellowships. Not sure if there's a comprehensive listing like you want, but if you go to some of the bigger named programs' websites, they should list quite a few. I think URochester, Wash U, Michigan, and Partners had quite a few fellowships listed.

Also, check the FAQ:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=190081

It's more than "several". In fact, next to int med, I think neurology offers the most varied fellowships. Not sure if there's a comprehensive listing like you want, but if you go to some of the bigger named programs' websites, they should list quite a few. I think URochester, Wash U, Michigan, and Partners had quite a few fellowships listed.

Also, check the FAQ:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=190081

Thanks for such a prompt reply. I did look at the FAQ, but it didn't mention how many years some of those fellowships were. Also, looking at FREIDA, it didn't list some of those fellowships (although it might be because they are non-accredited)? I'm not sure. Therefore, I was hoping if we can make a potential list of all the available fellowships available and that will not only help us, but the future applicants too, and perhaps, if we get a comprehensive list, we can update the FAQ's...

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the UCNS and ACGME websites. These are the 2 accrediting agencies for neuro fellowships; in that sense the only "real" fellowships. While everyone accepts the authority of ACGME, some people don't respect UCNS as highly (whereas others say accredited is accredited). Creating a list of official fellowshps is counterproductive since they are changing on a yearly basis. The websites above list accredited fellowships clearly. Most fellowships are 1-2 years.

BTW, I'm still confused re the point of an 'unaccredited fellowship' -- a coy ploy to keep you as faculty & pay you like a resident (plus)? Or a sign of a really progressive program?

Here's what I've come across during applications. Make sure to check how strong a program is in an area -- beyond whether it offers a fellowship or not.

ONE OF A KIND
combined neuro/psych residency (ie double boarded)
combined im / neuro residency (ie double boarded, 5 yr program w/ 2 yrs medicine instead of 1 prelim yr)
sports neuro at Michigan
neuro-rehab (NYU for sure, a few other places as well)
fellowship in basic research (even places that don't formally offer this may have programs / grants)
Create your own

PRETTY RARE
Neuro-path
Neuro-genetics
neuro-optho
neuro-otology
neuro-oncology
neuro-radiology (I assume this means diagnostics ... o/w won't a prog want to advertise interventional?)
neuro-pathology

MORE COMMON
neuro-AIDS / neuro-immunology / neurovirology / MS (fancy name for MS? Or truly transcending just MS)

Alzheimer's disease / neuro-dementia / neurobehavior / neuropsych (a few places go beyond exclusively AD).

headache / pain (procedural exposure?)

interventional (but some progs. combo this experience with their stroke fellowships).

stroke

PHYSIOLOGY AND FRIENDS
movement ... may lead to EMG cert?
epilepsy ... may lead to EEG cert?
EEG (leading to certification) - 1 yr accredited
EMG (leads to certification) - 1 yr accredited
Physio = EEG+EMG certification. accredited. 2 yrs.
Sleep

Last edited:

AAN has a fellowship directory.
http://www.aan.com/education/fellowships/

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies. The link was really helpful. Are there any fellowships, which are going to be starting in the near future for Neurology, that are not there yet?

Epilepsy will be a board subspecialty by 2012. It has been approved for a 1-yr training, which is likely insufficient for intracranial recordings.

Wait, epilepsy is not currently a subspecialty? So in EEG fellowship you only learn to read them in a yr whereas as neurophys is split at 6 months each?

Then does epilepsy entail reading of EEGs + diagnosis and treatments?

I was looking at these options the other day and was little confused each fellowships domain.

Holy schmokes!

Any news on neuroimaging fellowhips?

Wait, epilepsy is not currently a subspecialty? So in EEG fellowship you only learn to read them in a yr whereas as neurophys is split at 6 months each?

Then does epilepsy entail reading of EEGs + diagnosis and treatments?

I was looking at these options the other day and was little confused each fellowships domain.

Holy schmokes!

Epilepsy will include EEG, EMU, and clinical practice. ACGME fellowships start in 2013 or 2014 and are 1-year. Currently, most places offer a 2 year fellowship with one of the two counting for Neurophys (only available ABPN board).

Neurophysiology includes EEG, EMG, EP/IOM, and Sleep. You need to pick 2 of them.

Hi,
i hav recently completed my neurology residency in india
would like to know if
1)iam eligible for fellowships at US?Does any any of those universities offer fellowships without USMLE ?
2)Can i know the famous universities in canada/elsewer offering neurobehavioural/neuro immunology fellowships
3)i want to join asap..no plans undergoin USMLE and steps..
pls guide me

Hi,
i hav recently completed my neurology residency in india
would like to know if
1)iam eligible for fellowships at US?Does any any of those universities offer fellowships without USMLE ?
2)Can i know the famous universities in canada/elsewer offering neurobehavioural/neuro immunology fellowships
3)i want to join asap..no plans undergoin USMLE and steps..
pls guide me

almost none of fellowship will be available to an FMG without USMLE exams...rare cases may include non-accredited fellowships.