Neurology/Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snufkin002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I haven't heard of any combined neurology/medical genetics residency programs, but would anyone happen to know if it's possible to combine these? In the same way IM/genetics is combined, perhaps? I'm quite interested in both fields.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about neuro/genetics but have you checked out the newer residency of "neurodevelopmental disabilities"? Might be right up your alley.

Yes, it's possible to train in medical genetics after neurology residency, but this combination would not be through a combined program. Neurogenetics fellowship programs are available, but those who train in neurogenetics don't qualify to sit for the ABMG board exam. If you're interested in movement disorders, some programs have emphasis on neurogenetics as it relates to movement disorders.

One of our current genetics fellows is a neurologist, but as the above poster said he had to do an entire neurology residency and then a separate 2-year genetics residency/fellowship (in his case he also had a ~25 year career between the two). Best of luck finding your niche!