neurology in europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddawn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i'm a 4th year medical student in sudan, following the american system, and im considering taking neurology as a speciality ...

i heard that sweden is a prominant country regarding the medical research arena, but i'm not sure about the clinical aspect.

my question is,,,:confused::confused::confused::confused:
what is the best place in europe that is known for its advancement in neurology...both academically and clinically....

thanx in advance.
:):):):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Sweden, Germany, The Netherlands...the list can go on really.

thanx alot, that was beneficial, since i know nothing at all about it...:)

may i ask you another question then, which facilities or universities do u recommend ?? a facility that is really acclaimed for its care about research and the clinical aspect as well???

my degree in non-uropean.

thanx again.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most universities in these countries are excellent. Unfortunately, there isn't really a European ranking per se but some universities do have an excellent worldwide reputation and up to date technology. A few are:
1)Karolinska Universiteit (Sweden)
2)Goteborg (Sweden)
3) Maastricht (NL)
4)Groningen (NL),
5) Utrecht (NL),
6) Heidelberg(Germany),
7) Charite (Germany),
8) Tubingen

There are many other excellent ones in France, Switzerland, UK (Imperial college, Oxford, Cambridge, Brigmingham), Ireland (RCSI, Trinity etc.) and Belgium. Unfortunately getting into these universities is almost impossible for non-Europeans. If you want to do research in these countries, then yes, you can do it with no problem. But a residency in Neurology is much more complicated. You need to have a command of the language, take language and medical competency exams, take a few additional courses (on the government, welfare and health system in those countries) and for almost all these countries (except Germany and NL), you will need to do a 1 year internship and then again compete with the locals for a residency spot. Quite a long, frustrating process with very little hope for non-EU doctors.

hello,
thanx alot for ur info.
a little bit gloomy , but extremely helpful.:):)

You're welcome. Indeed, it is gloomy but that's Europe for ya. But if you still want to get into a European country, don't give up.