Neurology LOR requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amygdala221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am low tier USMD student applying neurology this year.
Step 1: 255+, step 2CK: 260+, Step 2 CS: Pass
One pub, not neurology related.
My question is I got mostly honors during clinicals but end up with a Pass in medicine. My medicine sub I is later in the year. I have very strong letters in neurology/psychiatry/surgery however my IM rotation was less than ideal so I do not have any IM letter for application. With a pass in IM, is it important to get an IM lor, and do any programs, categorical or advanced, require an IM LOR?
I am applying to 35 programs.

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t need an IM letter for neurology, but youd need one for prelim medicine if you are applying to those. If you only applying to categoricals, or ones that guarantee you the prelim year, then you are solid the way you are.

You don’t need an IM letter for neurology, but youd need one for prelim medicine if you are applying to those. If you only applying to categoricals, or ones that guarantee you the prelim year, then you are solid the way you are.
how do you find these?

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you find these?
Some have it declared on their website. I think FREIDA has a place where it also shows if the program provides the internship.

The ones I remember that do this are UCI, OHSU, and UoAZ. Maybe Emory too, but I can't say for sure.

but youd need one for prelim medicine if you are applying to those.

Just to emphasize, is this a hard-and-fast requirement? I'd much rather use my neurology letters than have to try to get an IM letter from what was literally my first rotation, more than a year ago...

Just to emphasize, is this a hard-and-fast requirement? I'd much rather use my neurology letters than have to try to get an IM letter from what was literally my first rotation, more than a year ago...
Not sure if this is a real requirement, but I’d think an IM PD would appreciate an IM LOR even knowing that you are going into neuro.

Prelims are very competitive, so make sure you don’t give them any reason to select someone else instead of you for an interview.

Yea I agree with your plan. You have good scores. If you think you cannot get a very good IM letter, you should just apply with Neurology letters.