Neurology Match 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I canceled my BU interview yesterday so hopefully there is some movement there. Also I would like to add NJMS to rejection list -- got rejected there last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Now would be the time to reach out... my interview was originally scheduled for 12/8

Now would be the time to reach out... my interview was originally scheduled for 12/8

Do you have an email address for their coordinator? I've been calling them for the past few weeks and nobody picks up :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, because of the list, you know that this is a no news is good news situations. The list is a great thing. Maybe try emailing Dr. Otis, the head of the program, to say that you're interested.

See, because of the list, you know that this is a no news is good news situations. The list is a great thing. Maybe try emailing Dr. Otis, the head of the program, to say that you're interested.

I actually did that a while ago, but received no response. I'll try again though.

Yeah, I think late November is when the rejections start to roll out.

Last edited:
I actually did that a while ago, but received no response. I'll try again though.

Don't call directly as they will see caller ID and know that its an applicant and not pick up. Call the hospitals operator and asked to be transferred to that extension. You can PM if you need the coordinators email

Don't call directly as they will see caller ID and know that its an applicant and not pick up. Call the hospitals operator and asked to be transferred to that extension. You can PM if you need the coordinators email

Oh really? Interesting that they are screening calls that way. I'll try calling the hospital's operator and see if I can get through.

Hey guys stay positive. Got a wait list invite from a top program in California today. Even at some of most competitive places there is some movement.

Reactions: 1 user
would anyone be willing to switch their UC Davis interview date with me? I am on January 4th, but I would prefer January 11th. The flights from the east coast are $850 vs $300 during that time. I would REALLY appreciate it , thank you so so much.

Updated Rejection List

U. Alabama, Birmingham
Arkansas
Boston University
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Duke
U. Illinois Peoria
LSU
U. Michigan
U. Minnesota
NJMS
Northwestern
Partners
Penn
U. Rochester
Tufts
UT southwestern
Yale

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got message from University of Chicago saying that they are done reviewing applications and interviewing.

Got message from University of Chicago saying that they are done reviewing applications and interviewing.

Yeah I got that as well. I ended up emailing Penn State and got a nicely worded rejection. At this point, I've gotten rejected by the vast majority of programs that I have applied to :/.

Rejection List:

Yale
NJMS
Penn
Rochester
Duke

Recently, interviewed there. Program coordinator said this year they increased number of interviews they gave given quality of applicants. She said there weren't many cancellations which is probably to be expected.

For me, recently got the UCSF rejection. Got an invite from Rochester with two interview dates, but declined spot.

Anyone hear anything from Hopkins or UCLA? Really the only two programs I have not heard anything from that I would take an interview at.

Interesting... I recently inquired about the status of my application to BID and they said they weren't yet finished sending interview invites. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Didn't get the UCSF rejection for some reason... what did it say?

Cancelled some interviews today - hopefully they go to some sdn peeps! Also haven't heard from UCLA or hopkins.

Havent heard from BIDMC either, I know that they sent a late round to a bunch of very elite applicants for what its worth. Got a UCSF rejection also, pretty much said thanks for applying we can't take you best of luck. Still no word from UCLA....seems like its a super popular choice this year .

M4, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but knowledge is power, right?
If the statement below is true, then you are in a wait list for cancellations or haven't received a rejection yet.

"We are very sorry to report that we have filled all of our
residency interview positions for the current season and will not be able to
schedule additional interviews."

Neuro in general seems like a popular choice this year. It isn't surprising though. It is in the social media, journals, government grants, kids movies, and even politics! Trendy. I almost wish it weren't so...But the fact that I liked it early on does not mean someone who was enchanted by its concept later on does not like it just as much, so it's a fair competition.
Good luck to you! =)
Ende gut, alles gut...

Rejection List:

Yale
NJMS
Penn
Rochester
Duke

Add Cooper and Drexel to that as well. Got both today. I got Univ Mississippi last week.
M4, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but knowledge is power, right?
If the statement below is true, then you are in a wait list for cancellations or haven't received a rejection yet.

"We are very sorry to report that we have filled all of our
residency interview positions for the current season and will not be able to
schedule additional interviews."

Neuro in general seems like a popular choice this year. It isn't surprising though. It is in the social media, journals, government grants, kids movies, and even politics! Trendy. I almost wish it weren't so...But the fact that I liked it early on does not mean someone who was enchanted by its concept later on does not like it just as much, so it's a fair competition.
Good luck to you! =)
Ende gut, alles gut...

That sounds pretty much like a rejection to me.

'twas indeed, Cali.
The question is: are rejections sent in clusters or in their entirety? By the way this one was worded, it seemed like they'd sent them all.

I just got a rejection from one of the programs in your Dec 2 list. So at least some come in clusters.

University of Louisville is done for the season; just got the email.

So quiet around here... feeling like the end. Although there are still a handful of programs I haven't heard from either way and it's frustrating!

So quiet around here... feeling like the end. Although there are still a handful of programs I haven't heard from either way and it's frustrating!

Last year people listed interviews at BID and northwestern invites at dates later than this, so its still possible. But everywhere where no one listed a rejection I'm assuming are silent rejecters.

Hopkins last interview date, per website, is tomorrow. I had contacted them and they told me I was on their waitlist.

I was waitlisted at Northwestern, they told me they have interviews through Jan and they commonly have cancelations.

I got the feeling I was on the waitlist at Stanford, I was told they interview through Jan. and that they do infrequently have cancellations.

I tried to contact UCLA awhile back but heard nothing back.

Those are the four that I haven't heard from.

Last edited:
Oh! bummer about Hopkins... also haven't heard from them.

Interviewed at Northwestern recently... they said they added an extra interview date in January. I was told I was on the waitlist at Stanford and later got offered a date I couldn't make, since then have been checking in and there doesn't seem to be any new openings yet. Still haven't heard from UCSF despite the rejection going out. Anyone else not get a rejection/am I reading into this lack of rejection too much?

There is definitely some waitlist movement. I received 2 interviews in the last week from some solid programs. Had to turn them down due to my schedule.

I just got an invite too. And I've spoken to a bunch of people that scheduled a ton of interviews who are planning on cancelling some. And Jeitpaint,, one of those people was thinking of cancelling UCSF, so I don't think you are over-analyzing anything, especially since we know they send rejections.

What kind of post- interview communication have you guys been getting for neuro? Pretty generic stuff/no response to thank-yous for me ...

That is mostly the norm. The coordinator usually handles the post-interview communication and they are much more focused on finishing out the season and getting people ranked than they are dealing with people who have already been through the system. We usually don't respond to thank-yous, as it sets up a weird "thank you for the thank you" dynamic. We appreciate the thank you, and usually forward it to your file, but you shouldn't expect a response, particularly at a good program. When I was an applicant, I called my top 3 programs a bunch post-interview and lied about how I was ranking them all number 1 like I was some major player, and they were all "thanks, we really appreciate your interest" and said nothing else until match day. Many applicants do this, which is why they don't care and don't believe you. So talking to you is not really a useful strategy for them.

No one wants to get caught in a match violation, so often the programs' course of action is to be very lukewarm, outside of some unusually stellar applicants who might get a little more non-committal special attention. But you are doing just fine.

I've gotten an over 50% response to thank you notes, so it may vary by program. Among my interviews, it was rare for any program to initiate post-interview contact unless it was the program coordinator sending the NRMP code for how to rank it.

Guys. DO NOT tell your non-number one programs that you are ranking them number one. They can see where you matched and if they want they can report you for a violation, and, something that my program warned about specifically, neurology is a small community. They tell anyone and you just lost your credibility for fellowship.

I was told same thing. If you tell a program they are their first choice you better put them 1st. Telling a program that and then not matching would look really bad and could follow you around.

Has anyone gotten an offer from University of Arizona/University of Arizona South Campus? I really want to get an invite to either of the programs but nobody seems to be cancelling. They only have one date left in January now. The reason I'm asking is because I'm on the "on short notice can you come" waitlist.

I just noticed that on UCLA's website that their last interview was December 14th. I can also confirm that Johns Hopkins had their last interview last week.

I was told same thing. If you tell a program they are their first choice you better put them 1st. Telling a program that and then not matching would look really bad and could follow you around.

While I agree about the "number 1 statement", I think it's still important to state your interest and try to sell yourself to the programs you are most interested in matching. I don't think there is harm using vague language such as will rank "very high" or "one of my top programs I'm interested in". I doubt anyone would tell a program they are a backup interview, or would want to come across as not interested even in backup interviews.

I've noticed a lot of lip service on my interviews. Like they'll say something along the lines of "it's up to you if you match here", or "you'd fit in really well here" or "I think you're what were looking for in our program" for example. I'm sure programs are covering their bases to make sure they fill their slots so they want their interviewees to get the warm-fuzzies about their program. The first time I heard it I was like yes!!! But now after hearing it more often than not I'm beginning to get suspicious. Just be careful not to get too invested in 1 program. Typhoonegator any thoughts or comments on this?

I've been getting that too. They're all recruiters for their department. I think they are being nice and also need enough people to rank their program.

I think a lot of them really mean it, but the people saying it don't necessarily have the authority to make statements like that. So be cautiously optimistic. Certainly it indicates that you're on the right track. I don't feel the need to say things like that if I didn't like the applicant during the interview.

If you call the program coordinator and they say that sort of thing, you can assume it's boilerplate. If you talk or communicate with the Program Director and they say something like that, then it carries more weight. Honestly, until ranking day things are very fluid except for maybe the very top of the list. We call ranking day "chutes and ladders" because some individuals can see a lot of movement up or down the board once direct comparisons are made and impressions are laid out.

Try not to let these things get to you, you can go crazy trying to interpret and analyze off-the-cuff statements.

If you talk or communicate with the Program Director and they say something like that, then it carries more weight. Honestly, until ranking day things are very fluid except for maybe the very top of the list. We call ranking day "chutes and ladders" because some individuals can see a lot of movement up or down the board once direct comparisons are made and impressions are laid out.

What about an applicant makes her or him fall out at "the very top of the list"?
By which measures are individuals directly compared that cause such significant chutes and ladders?

I think a lot of them really mean it, but the people saying it don't necessarily have the authority to make statements like that. So be cautiously optimistic. Certainly it indicates that you're on the right track. I don't feel the need to say things like that if I didn't like the applicant during the interview.

If you call the program coordinator and they say that sort of thing, you can assume it's boilerplate. If you talk or communicate with the Program Director and they say something like that, then it carries more weight. Honestly, until ranking day things are very fluid except for maybe the very top of the list. We call ranking day "chutes and ladders" because some individuals can see a lot of movement up or down the board once direct comparisons are made and impressions are laid out.

Try not to let these things get to you, you can go crazy trying to interpret and analyze off-the-cuff statements.

Thanks for the info TN and taking us behind the curtain. Given this info, when do programs typically assemble their rank list? Also does anything post-interview actually influence an applicants standing (2nd look, letter of intent, etc)?

Caveat: I've been involved in only one program's residency and one subspecialty fellowship ranking system. It happens to be a household name, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily portable to every situation out there.

1. The top of the list depends a lot on the aspirations of the program and their recent history. For many, the tippy top of the informal running rank list are people from the home program that the faculty have a lot of experience with as a medical student and are sure they are capable and well-fit for the program, in addition to interviewees that either left a lasting impression or have stats that place them in the tail of the distribution for their program. For middle-of-the-road programs academically, the stats alone are often not enough to warrant a top spot because of "safety school" concerns. So if you're a stellar applicant on paper, it is important to make sure programs understand your position -- if you're the top student at Harvard Medical School but you want to go do residency at the University of Iowa to be closer to your family and train with a neurologist who was a family friend growing up, then you need to make sure they understand that going into the ranking meeting. For top tier academic research programs, the top of the list is more in line with the boring stuff you already know -- PhD, publications, class rank, AOA, board scores, as well as what you said in your interview about why you want to attend their program.

2. Chutes and ladders depends a lot on the year. If it has been a very strong year for the program, then there may be 20 applicants at the top of the list who all have very similar board scores, medical school performance, publication records, etc. Something has to separate them, and so we look deeper to distinguish who we really want to represent our program. Sometimes you look at the top of the list, and the interests, backgrounds, and goals of the applicants are very monotonous. Experience dictates that residency classes benefit from a variety of viewpoints, goals, and skills, so we think about what our dream class might be. That's when people who don't necessarily have the board scores to hang with the top 10 applicants suddenly start to look like highly valuable applicants -- they bring something unique to the table that could really add to the depth of the class. And others who may have amazing numbers but no one really recalls them standing out in their interview can take a dive. It's sort of like putting together a football team. If you just rank all the available players by their skill level in their respective positions, you are going to end up with a very unbalanced team. You don't need six 5-star quarterbacks, but you'd better be sure you're actively searching for coachable offensive linemen.

3. Programs typically wait until nearly the last minute to make their rank lists, in order to be sure they have all available information to help them decide. Some Dean's letters come out very late, and some people need scores to be released, publications to be listed, etc. The last thing anyone wants is to spend an evening away from family making a bulletproof rank list only to find out a crucial piece of information in the 11th hour.

4. Second looks: very program dependent. And person-dependent as well. But overall my impression is that they matter less than people might hope. Second looks are really supposed to be for the applicant, and many programs try to keep it that way. They require work from the program to organize, and no one wants to send the impression that the best way into a program is to do a second look. Letters of intent, in contrast, can be helpful to a point. As I mentioned before, programs know that people tend to lie. They know this because every year they rank someone to match who told them that the program was their number 1 choice, only to see them match somewhere else. It happens all the time, and it tends to drive programs away from believing these stated intentions. Now if there is ancillary information to back up your assertion, that can help. Or if your chief is willing to email or call the PD to tell them that they sat down with you and that you loved their program. There cannot be any overt or implied coercion or attempts to circumvent the match -- programs are dead serious about this -- but a phone call from a prominent neurologist telling them that an applicant just can't stop talking about how much they loved their program can help. But they have to already like you. Imagine you are without a prom date. Would you rather ask 5 people that you really like but aren't sure they are into you, or ask the 1 person you can't stand but are sure they'd say yes?

Reactions: 5 users
cryptically poignant.

Does anyone know when Stanford's last interview date is? Thanks!

Somehow still hearing from places!! If you haven't already, I would just contact everywhere you haven't heard from because there is still a chance and you have nothing to lose...