Neurology Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star050

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm a MS4 US student looking to connect with people also applying to Neuro for residency. Previous years at my school haven't had many people go into this field, and there's only 3 others this current year applying who I'm not close to so it feels like I'm going in a little blind here. Just looking for others so we can go through this process together and maybe get some advice from current residents/attendings on here?
Feels so weird to not do an AI or interviews at programs so we can't see what they're about. Sure virtual stuff like meeting with residents and asking questions is nice but I feel like we'll never get the full idea till we get there.
How's everyone else feeling about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I'm a MS4 US student looking to connect with people also applying to Neuro for residency. Previous years at my school haven't had many people go into this field, and there's only 3 others this current year applying who I'm not close to so it feels like I'm going in a little blind here. Just looking for others so we can go through this process together and maybe get some advice from current residents/attendings on here?
Feels so weird to not do an AI or interviews at programs so we can't see what they're about. Sure virtual stuff like meeting with residents and asking questions is nice but I feel like we'll never get the full idea till we get there.
How's everyone else feeling about it?
I was lucky enough to get an away but yeah it’s a fiasco all around this year haha who knows what’ll happen

Reactions: 1 user
Wanted to share the 2021 spreadsheet:

Some M4s have been rounding up stuff on twitter too, if that's your thing: https://twitter.com/NMatch2021

Personally, I'm kind of happy to save some money. Aways and IVs were a huge item on my budget. And I've always wondered how good of an impression you can really get through a 2 day interview anyways. Bigger thing will be how PDs respond to virtual interviews. Are they going to pump up IV #s? Should we increase apps to match?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to share the 2021 spreadsheet:

Some M4s have been rounding up stuff on twitter too, if that's your thing: https://twitter.com/NMatch2021

Personally, I'm kind of happy to save some money. Aways and IVs were a huge item on my budget. And I've always wondered how good of an impression you can really get through a 2 day interview anyways. Bigger thing will be how PDs respond to virtual interviews. Are they going to pump up IV #s? Should we increase apps to match?

can you link it?

can you link it?

For sure! Here's the reddit link for the other specialties as well:

Reddit.

Direct link to the neuro spreadsheet.

Also, saw an interesting twitter thread recently. Guy did an informal poll of M4 rad hopefuls (link) and asked if they would go on more IVs on account of them being virtual. ~80% said they would go on, "a few more," or, "a lot more." It's sounding like it'll be sub-optimal strategy to go on as many IVs as the last class.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, saw an interesting twitter thread recently. Guy did an informal poll of M4 rad hopefuls (link) and asked if they would go on more IVs on account of them being virtual. ~80% said they would go on, "a few more," or, "a lot more." It's sounding like it'll be sub-optimal strategy to go on as many IVs as the last class.

Yeah I think it only make more sense to apply to more programs given the ease of interviews this years, but speaking to a program director today, he wasn't sure if the actual number of interviews given out will increase. He was saying they usually interview 10x the number of spots, so i'm not sure if increased applicants will necessarily translate to increased competitiveness. Aditionally, I have been hearing that regional ties will be very important this year, but it seems no one really knows, just educated guesses at this point.

just curious, is there any way to know if a program fired residents ie pgy1 and to know why? I've heard some stories from a given program but they didn't bring any of that in their open house (i mean quite obvious), and appeared all happy in that... its hard to tell how much internal politics are involved there, from the news i got that's the main reason they have previously fired a few pgy1 in the last 3-4 years.

just curious, is there any way to know if a program fired residents ie pgy1 and to know why? I've heard some stories from a given program but they didn't bring any of that in their open house (i mean quite obvious), and appeared all happy in that... its hard to tell how much internal politics are involved there, from the news i got that's the main reason they have previously fired a few pgy1 in the last 3-4 years.

Can you PM me the name so I can avoid this program lol

Reactions: 1 user