Neurology Matching Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fellini

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten my ECFMG certificate now for about 4 Mo and now I'm starting to worry a bit and started asking myself questions. I'm an IMG (US Citizen), got 96 on Step1 and 94 on Step2, graduated for 5 years with 4 years working experience. Right now I'm in a neurology residency program in Thailand and planned to match for neurology again in another 3 years after I finish the residency here.

My questions are:

1. Since I want to match in a university based program, would my Step2 score, being below a 95, hinder my chances of matching?

2. Would my chances of matching would be better if I match this year (as early as possible) or wait until I have the Thai board of neurology first?

3. Would my chances of getting into subspecialties decrease significantly if I wait longer?

My questions may sound ludicrous, but I'm sincerely worried since I want to pursue an academic career in either autoimmune neurology or neurodegenerative diseases. Any advice or inside information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.