Neurology Or Pm&r

Started by uthopeful
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uthopeful

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am having trouble deciding between pm&r and neurology for my residency. I thought after my pm&r rotation that I would be able to make my mind up but am still undecided.

All the things that I like about PM&R relate to the neuro aspect of the field. I am not interested in any of the ortho, sports medicine, etc. I rotated through neuro as an ms3. Any advice on how to decide. The one thing that I would still like to keep open is a pain fellowship, not sure if it would be eaiser via neuro or pm&r (just thinking about it).

Some quesitons, would really appreicate some feedback

1.) How to decide, any suggestions?

2.) Lifestyle, I know PM&R is known to have a great lifestyle, what is the lifestyle of a neurologists

3.) Salary, anyone see any major differences or potential

4.) Future of both fields

Thank You
 
I also at one point during my 4 th yr was contemplating bet neuro and pmr. I really wanted to have a good lifestyle but also be interested in what i do. i felt neurology had a decent lifestyle, much better than medicine or surgery, and still had a lot of challenging aspects about it as well as plenty of internal medicine. pmr for me was a good lifestyle but that's about it.
 
Thanks,

How would you describe the lifestyle of a neurologists. I was strongly considering PM&R because of the great lifestyle everyone talks about and thought I would be interested in the field in general, but I am starting to think more and more that neurology is more where my interest lies, but lifestyle is very important to me considering I already have children.

Thanks
 
For my case, I opted for neuro because I wanted more diagnostic challenges as well as more academic-setting opportunities.