Neurology pre-residency fellowship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrokedocUNM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The University of New Mexico is now accepting applications for our Neurology pre-residency fellowship with a start date of June 1st, 2022. Our unique program is designed to provide an intensive educational experience and opportunity to gain clinical skills and experience in academic neurology to prepare for categorical residency training. Historically, 100% of our pre-residency fellows matched into a Neurology program the following year.

Over the course of 12 months, trainees rotate through our dedicated, state-of-the-art Neuroscience ICU, spend time on the acute stroke inpatient service, work on our Neurohospitalist service, and have the opportunity to choose clinical electives based on their own interest. Clinical training is supplemented with case simulations and a tailored offering of didactics, ranging from neuroanatomy and neuroradiology, to management of neurocritical illness. Trainees are expected to attend and participate in all other resident didactics.

Trainees are exposed to a variety of different disease entities, including some not frequently encountered elsewhere, such as: Moya-Moya disease, familial cerebral cavernous malformations, and cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. We pride ourselves in providing cutting-edge, comprehensive care for our patients in an academically stimulating, collegial, multidisciplinary environment. Our 24-bed Neurocritical Care Unit uses sophisticated multimodal monitoring techniques to tailor individual patient treatment. Diseases frequently seen in this environment range from traumatic brain injury, intracranial hemorrhage, status epilepticus, to meningitis/encephalitis, myasthenic crisis and much more.

If interested, submit the following documents to our program coordinator:
  • USMLE Step 1/2/3 and/or ECFMG certification
  • Medical school transcripts
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Personal statement
  • At least two letters of recommendation from faculty members you have worked with
Applicants must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of New Mexico. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor J1 or H1B visas.

Interviews will be held at the end of March 2022.

For more information, visit our website: Neurology Pre-Residency

For questions, contact the program coordinator Jeffrey Maloney at: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Angry
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, considering you can't sponsor J1 or H1B visas, why would any American grad take this offer? Neurology is one of least competitive residencies so what is the possible benefit??

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I would love to see the evidence that 'Neurology is the least competitive residency'. It is easy to make claims without backing those up. Nobody is forced to take a spot as pre-resident. Life is full of choices. I can tell you though that many of our graduates very extremely grateful for the opportunity. They are treated and paid like any other PGY-1 resident. So, speak for yourself and don't mislead readers of this form.

Reactions: 1 user
Disliking my comment doesn’t change the fact that you’re nothing but “academic” parasite that feeds off the vulnerability of unfortunate applicants.

Shame on you

Reactions: 3 users
if this replaced intern year, could be cool. if it doesn't, seems like a waste.

Reactions: 2 users
I would love to see the evidence that 'Neurology is the least competitive residency'. It is easy to make claims without backing those up. Nobody is forced to take a spot as pre-resident. Life is full of choices. I can tell you though that many of our graduates very extremely grateful for the opportunity. They are treated and paid like any other PGY-1 resident. So, speak for yourself and don't mislead readers of this form.
Thats the entire point. It seems as if you are taking advantage of someone such in a unfortunate situation. If you look at NRMP data, neurology is definitely one of the least competitive specialities. Even students with below average stats have a solid chance. I'm not misleading anyone. There is no advantage to applying for your spot. I rather do a prelim or transitional year (which are often plenty in SOAP) so that atleast I will be eligible for a PGY2 spot for next year. Atleast guarantee them a spot for your program...

Reactions: 3 users
The University of New Mexico is now accepting applications for our Neurology pre-residency fellowship with a start date of June 1st, 2022. Our unique program is designed to provide an intensive educational experience and opportunity to gain clinical skills and experience in academic neurology to prepare for categorical residency training. Historically, 100% of our pre-residency fellows matched into a Neurology program the following year.

Over the course of 12 months, trainees rotate through our dedicated, state-of-the-art Neuroscience ICU, spend time on the acute stroke inpatient service, work on our Neurohospitalist service, and have the opportunity to choose clinical electives based on their own interest. Clinical training is supplemented with case simulations and a tailored offering of didactics, ranging from neuroanatomy and neuroradiology, to management of neurocritical illness. Trainees are expected to attend and participate in all other resident didactics.

Trainees are exposed to a variety of different disease entities, including some not frequently encountered elsewhere, such as: Moya-Moya disease, familial cerebral cavernous malformations, and cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. We pride ourselves in providing cutting-edge, comprehensive care for our patients in an academically stimulating, collegial, multidisciplinary environment. Our 24-bed Neurocritical Care Unit uses sophisticated multimodal monitoring techniques to tailor individual patient treatment. Diseases frequently seen in this environment range from traumatic brain injury, intracranial hemorrhage, status epilepticus, to meningitis/encephalitis, myasthenic crisis and much more.

If interested, submit the following documents to our program coordinator:
  • USMLE Step 1/2/3 and/or ECFMG certification
  • Medical school transcripts
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Personal statement
  • At least two letters of recommendation from faculty members you have worked with
Applicants must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of New Mexico. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor J1 or H1B visas.

Interviews will be held at the end of March 2022.

For more information, visit our website: Neurology Pre-Residency

For questions, contact the program coordinator Jeffrey Maloney at: [email protected]
Is this position still open?

This would be a fantastic opportunity for IMGs like myself to gain extensive clinical experience before applying. Even if the position paid less than PGY1, that wouldn’t have been much of an issue. Unfortunately, not sponsoring visas means it’s limited essentially to AMGs and US-IMGs, and neither category needs a year of help to match into a field like neurology.

I think even removing a significant part of the pay and putting it towards the H1 visa would make this an incredibly popular program for IMGs.

On an unrelated note- there were 400 visa requiring IMGs doing unpaid research at Mayo last year. Most positions are a year long. The work we do is essentially equivalent to research technologists who’re paid anywhere between $50k-80k a year. If you take the lower amount, multiply by 400 IMGs- you get $20m of free research labour per year. Take the higher amount and it’s $30m. I found this quite interesting. This is before any additional money the institution gets for patents etc. based off the research.

$20-30m is a gigantic sum- for free.