NEUROLOGY/PSYCHIATRY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:

I was wondering if any of you are considering or are currently involved in either neurology or psychiatry?

I am an undergraduate interested in DO schools and want to get a feel for what the availability of neurology/psychiatry residencies are for graduated DOs. Insofar as osteopathic medical schools are renown for training primary care physicians, do considerable opportunities exist for DOs interested in neurology or psychiatry? If so, which medical schools should I consider looking into?

Thank you!

Together

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th yr osteo student who just participated in the allopathic neuro match...I matched to my first choice program. Fortunately, at least right now, neuro is not a very competitive field. I am an average med student (middle of my class) and had to turn away interview invitations.
I have heard that the situation is similar for psych.

Hi Neurogirl:

Thank you for your response -- all of your responses to my posts have been incredibly helpful!

By the way, when asked, "Why do you want to pursue osteopathic medicine?" at an interview at a family practice-oriented DO school (e.g., UNECOM), how should those of us who are interested in neurology and/or psychiatry reply? I know that OMM is used to treat various neuromuscular impairments (although I have heard that it is not very popular) but I don't want to give off the impression that I am only interested in DO schools as a fall-back to MD programs. My goal is to become a neurologist and I am not concerned about which path (DO or MD) I travel to get there, although I do want to be prepared for the roadblocks ahead. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks again!

Together

Members don't see this ad :)
During my interview, specialty choice was never discussed. Med schools DO NOT expect you to have already chosen your specialty and many who began school with an interest in a particular field ended up changing their mind at least once or twice. I'm not saying you'll change your mind, but it's a very real possibility...something to think about.

That being said, I'll also tell you that although DO schools have traditionally focused on primary care, I don't think any school expects all of it's graduates to pursue only those specialties. Keep in mind that OMT can be used in virtually any specialty. I definately plan to use it for various pain syndromes and may even subspecialize in this area. Although pain has traditionally been a subspecialty of anesthesiology, more and more neurologists are pursuing PM fellowships. Also, realize that those with neurological disorders are especially grateful to have a physician who utilizes an holistic approach as many of them have very debilitating illnesses.

Finally, regarding the MD vs DO issue, just be honest. Although I loved everything about osteopathy I also applied to one nearby MD school because my primary concern was to be close to home (don't underestimate the importance of a strong support system!). I didn't bring up the topic myself, but they did ask and I responded with a very honest answer. I think my interviewers appreciated my candor...or at least they acted like they did. Hope this info helps.

[This message has been edited by Neurogirl (edited 02-07-2001).]

Neurogirl where did you match? Im in the middle of my PGY1 year at St Louis University in Neurology.

Alan

I'm in psychiatry (a first year, classmate of Alan Diamond, above). I got all sorts of excellent feedback all along the residency application trail. NOBODY cared that I was a DO, and I got interviewed everywhere I applied. I went outside the match at The Mayo Clinic, so there's really no problem for DO's in psych...

I am not sure about neurology, but as far as I know.....psychiatry is very available and many residencies are left open each year. I have also heard that there is a huge need for more child/adolescent psychiatrists.

Dear All:

Thank you for all of your posts!

Together