Advice for Building Psychiatry Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zaboomafu

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm currently a second year at a state school. I have determined that I want to practice psychiatry and was hoping to get some advice as to best build and tailor my resume. I am plan on taking Step and Comlex.

As of now, this is what I have going on:

Middle of the class, academically speaking (pass/fail)
Volunteer at a free health clinic in my hometown (300 hrs since 2021) - only 20 or so hours of volunteering in the town my medical school is in
Working on a research project, joining onto 2 others in the coming week
Treasurer for the Student National Medical Association
Member of the Neurology and Psychiatry Club
Training to become a crisis text line volunteer
Scholar in a program focused on care for urban and rural underserved communities
OMM Tutor

*I have recently been shadowing a psychiatrist every other week for about 4 hours. I love getting to see the work they do, and I have learned so much in the few weeks I have spent at their clinic. They have offered to reserve Thursdays for me to come in, which is beyond exciting!

Is there anything else I ought to be doing to help my application scream psychiatry?