Neurology Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSLhobbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of pursuing an MD/PhD with the intent to go into neurology. I've been working on neural regeneration for blindness the past several years while in undergrad.

Are there many neurologists who work on spinal cord injuries and repair, or is that more of a neurosurgery thing? I didn't see a fellowship for neurologists in spinal injury, and while searching different medical school neurology research pages, I have only found a few neurologists who research spinal cord injury. Is it just a small field, and would it be something I could pursue as a neurologist? I don't want to be a neurosurgeon.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It can be done. Just because there aren't tons of neurologists doing something doesn't mean you can't. In fact, it might be an advantage. Also, I know several neurologists who do neural regeneration work, so they are out there. There are some folks with PM&R backgrounds who do this sort of stuff as well.

Jack Kessler, the neurology chair at Northwestern, is a spinal cord regeneration researcher. Here is a link to his homepage, with some of his pubs.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/igp/facindex/KesslerJ.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything about Neurohospitalism, Neuro Health Services Research, or Neuro Infectious Diseases? I'm interested in all three, among others. I know Neurohospitalism is an incipient movement gaining momentum, and that UCLA has recruited a few neurologists to join their HSR department. UCLA also has a blurb about Neuro infectious diseases on their neuro pages. I've not seen much else, though.